The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Pros and Cons of E85

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nastygsx

Probationary Member
Aug 1, 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Hey names Justin I have a 95 gsx and I'm wanting to run E85 because I hear you can get more hp with the right tune does anyone know anything about E85 or anywhere I can find info about e85 in a dsm. Any info would help thanks

E85 is awesome for our cars and other performance applications. Its A higher octane raiting. Somewhere around 104 or 108 (someone correct me if wrong). You can run more boost and more timing with e85 then pump gas. The down sides to it are you need more e85 then pump gas to make power. Usually you need 2 walbro 255 in tank fuel pumps or 1 large fuel pump to supply enough fuel for e85 to be effective. You also need to run larger injectors then you normally would. I ususally see people getting up to 2150s for e85 but I don't think that high is needed. Also e85 is hydrophilic and attracts moisture. Its also very good at cleaning all the varnish out of your tank and lines so things tend to clog up. This can be avoided by running a tank of gas once in a while or doing 50/50 gas and e85 for a while.

Based off of my experience last season when I started running it..

Pro:
Cheaper
Loves timing (more power)
Same ish fuel milage(all depends on your cruise dial in)

Con:
Gunks up your injectors after a period of time making it necessary to clean your injectors often.
Have to add ~30% more fuel to compensate. Making your injectors seem "smaller" than they are. ie: say 25 psi on 93 pump on 1000cc injectors getting all I could out of the car I was seeing 60 or 70% IDCs, E85 same boost I was seeing upwards of 90..
Less gas stations have it.

Hey names Justin I have a 95 gsx and I'm wanting to run E85 because I hear you can get more hp with the right tune does anyone know anything about E85 or anywhere I can find info about e85 in a dsm. Any info would help thanks

crash89 and untouchablecc got most of it covered. Also the rest can be found if you use the search for E85. :thumb: If you can find it local then i recommend it, if you cant buy it locally then use meth injection.(Its 200$ or so for a electronic kit)

E: Almost forgot, A lot of stations E85 isnt very reliable(Not exactly E85 could be E75, E80, E70.) which could cause detonation problems, but if you can find it from a good station locally then you would be fine.

E85 from the pump is also a seasonal blended fuel in some parts which means that it goes down to E70 in the winter months and then changes back at some point to E85. If you don't check and adjust your tune, you can blow your engine by running your car to lean. To avoid this, folks will order E98 from a shop, or online vendor that carries it.

Also, unlike 87, 91, 92, 93 octane etc. you can run to much timing without the car knocking like on the other octanes, this can also cause major engine damage by tuning to aggressively.

Once you run it, you'll want more:sneaky:.

After switching to it over the summer, all I have to say is I love it. One of my favorite "mods" so far. The only negative for me is far less mpg, but the extra power I made far outweighs that.

I would highly suggest switching if you have the appropriate mods.

Simply put( for OUR intents and purposes): Its race gas at under $3 a gallon. Doesnt like to detonate, nice burn. More timing, more boost, more power. If i were a DD i wouldnt use e85. I may do a 25% mix or something. It really really gets bad mpg. Most of us looking for the extra power in e85 dont care a rats ass about mpg though.
You might as well go big on injectors and buy them once. I made this mistake and now ive got a set of pte1000s that just arent enough for even my 5858. Spend the big bucks and get 2150FICs and be done with it. If you upgrade turbos one day and are looking past the 60lb/min mark(or way past it LOL) then the 2150s will cover you. A wally 450 IS a drop in affair and can flow a LOT of fuel. Enough for 700whp on e85? Thats debatable, but i think Keltalon has done close to that, and a few others i cant think of.

The guys up top said it all, just a rehash i suppose. But i cant stress this enough: measure twice BUY once. If you're going to go full blown dual, get it now and be done.

Also, from personal experience. I noticed almost 90% of the benefits of e85 when i was running about a 70/30 mix. 70% 93, 30% e85(summer blend so that helped). There are a few routes you can take, all up to you and your goals.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, when using e85, over time it will eat away at the factory fuel lines. Not sure as to how fast or even if but running e85 on previous builds(non dsm) upgrading the return and feed lines to the fuel supply was necessary.

Since you obviously didn't even bother searching, I'll go ahead and do it for you. :|

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...e85-ethanol-corn-gas-e70-beginner-merged.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...-85-ethanol-corn-gas-e70-advanced-merged.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back