The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved Open Dump O2 Housing Sounds Like Open Downpipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackStieben

Proven Member
Feb 11, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
I've installed onto my Evo III 16g an eBay open dump O2 housing. It's for the internal wastegate and I have a new turbine housing from eBay that hadn't given me any issues. When I installed the open dump, it constantly sounds like the car is running an open downpipe. I thought it was supposed to sound normal until I went WOT. I changed the internal wastegate thinking that the spring was stuck open. Is it possible that the o2 housing doesn't line up perfectly on the inside causing a small leak into the dump tube?

Have you checked to verify that the flapper is seated correctly?
What do you have the boost controller set to?
As Dsmkauai stated, verify the mating surfaces are not leaking. If so, the surfaces are likely not true-flat. That can be easily rectified.

MBC is set to 17psi, but my gauge is reading slightly past 20. I haven't noticed any residue so far but I can check that tonight. The flapper seemed all the way shut before I put it on.

Yeah shouldn't sound like that. I recently installed the eBay one too and you can hear it until you start to hit boost. Still doesn't sound like an open down pipe. It's a different sound. More like a scream.

I took the wastegate off and sure enough, it isn't closing all the way. The flapper is barely hitting something so that I'm able to close it all the way, but the wastegate can't. I guess that's what I get for buying an eBay turbine housing to replace my old cracked one. :banghead:

You can usually add some washers or find another creative way to make it close completely...search on here...this happens all the time!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back