The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

New, Introducing myself.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zultane

Proven Member
Jun 11, 2013
denver, Colorado
Hey there everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. Im new to the DSM world. I actually have been more of a V8 guy most of my life.

I had a 2004 GTO, the LS1. Thats pretty much everything in my knowledge. Long story short, I lost the car for multiple reasons. I needed to get my life together, and I've just had no money for a car again.

Now, ive gotten everything straightened, I am a construction foreman. I make great money now, and I'm back in the game of tuning my own car (instead of other peoples cars for them)

Other then the obvious differences, DSM's, are an entirely new world to me. Im very mechanically inclined. But, 2 major differences are new to me. 1.) I havent done much with turbos. 2.) DOHC, entirely new system to me.

I was going to get an LS1, Trans am, or Camaro. But, I have a friend who had this 90 Eclipse GSX, AWD, 6-bolt (from what i understand, 6-bolt is the way to go. I will have the car in about a week and a half or so. And I figured I'd try something new, challenge myself again, like I did with the LS1.

I intend on doing with this, the exact same thing I did with the GTO. I want to build it to race in the E.T's at Bandimere, while maintaining street-ability. I was always jealous of AWD launches at Bandimere when I raced there, another factor why Ive decided to go this route.

I know every car is different, and different motors react to mods differently. For instance, in the GTO, I did my own cam, and valvetrain, intake, exhaust, and headers (the normal things). I also had a Diablo Tuner, and did alot of the tuning myself. I had installed my own V2 supercharer shortly before I lost the car.

Poking around on this site, I can already see issues people have with cams. I also see that fuel delivery upgrades are a pretty immediate thing to do. The cars turbo says "TD05H". Thats a 16g (correct me if im wrong). Heres where I get confused, theres, from what I can tell, 3 different types of 16g. Small 16g, Big 18g, and Evo III 16g? How can I tell which one I have? Not because Im slapping a huge turbo on it right away, (because I know how ignorant that is) But, so I know what I have, and what I can handle at this point in time. Anything else thats a "common issue" that I want to get knocked out right away?

I would like to get to know people in this region. Any input anyone has, I'll gladly take, alot of you know more about these cars then I do.

Thanks in advance!

First of all, welcome to your new direction.:) As far as being able to tell which turbo you have, it's not quite as easy as just saying you have a TDO5H and that's it. If I were to guess though, I would say you have a 14b. There are many variations which utilize the TDO5H compressor housing, so refer to the following to tell which you have... A picture of the compressor wheel can also help us tell which turbo you have.;)

The serial numbers on the compressor cover should tell you which you have and are as follows.

14B
49178-01010
49178-01030
49178-01400
49178-01410

Small 16G
49178-01520
49178-05200

Big 16G
49178-01420

Evo I Big 16G
49178-01450

Evo II Big 16G
49178-01460

Evo III Big 16G
49178-01470

Flow rates are as follows on the different variations.

Flow Rates @ 15psi:
TDO4-9B-6CM2 265 CFM
TDO5-12A-8CM2 320 CFM
TDO4-13G-5CM2 360 CFM
TEO4-13C-6CM2 360 CFM
TDO4L-13G-6CM2 360 CFM
TDO4L-15C-8.5CM2 390 CFM
TDO5H-14B-6CM2 405 CFM
TDO5H-14G-8CM2 465 CFM
TDO5H-16G-7CM2 505 CFM
TDO5H-16G-10CM2 505 CFM
TDO6-17C-8CM2 550 CFM
TDO6H-20G-14CM2 650 CFM
TDO7S-25G-17CM2 850 CFM
TFO8L-30V-18CM2 1200 CFM

I plan on actually going to the take it to the track night on July 10th with my brother.

He's got a fun build we'll be starting soon. Non dsm, but, 04 STI swap into a 95 impreza. I'm super excited for that haha.

Anyone else plan on going out that day? Its going to be my first time there in a few years, I'm pretty excited!

I just finally picked it up this weekend. It's not entirely stock, no. I'm essentially chasing behind the last guy. There are some things obviously installed. There's an "aeromotive" fuel pressure regulator. And some various things that are rigged up, emission system delete, etc.

The problem I'm running into, is he's either an idiot, or a liar. He said he 'thinks' the turbo was an 18g, it's a 14b.He claimed there is a 'mild cam job' which I doubt. It's running rich, and chasing that tomorrow, as well as a clutch problem that regulator says I'm running 55psi on fuel. Though I'm new to dsm, that seems irregularly high to me.

There's an apexi airflow converter the backlight is on,. But, the display isn't on. I'm going to chase the wiring this weekend. As well as the tach not working.

If anyone has any insight or ideas to make my process go smoother to "Stage 0", I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks I'm advance!

You should ask him what fuel pump its on the car, and why the regulator its set so high, if its the stock one maybe he set the pressure higher to help, base presure without the vacum hose should be 37, and also ask him what injectors are in there, if he doesnt know then you should probably take it apart and see :/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back