The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

New engine smokes,oil on pistons, NEED HELP!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As far as I can think of, on the car not really, I have an idea that may or may not work

Off the car, yes... the guides would have to come back out and the bores inspected, then a sealent applied when installed

Even that, with out the use of OS guides is 50/50 at best depending on how bad the guide bores are.

Well thank you, I gues the next step is to pull the head off :cry: gahhh i seem to have to worst of luck with dsm heads.

Well if you want to try the "on the car" I can and will explain it to you

It may solve the issues, but you will have to remove the springs.

Well if you want to try the "on the car" I can and will explain it to you

It may solve the issues, but you will have to remove the springs.

Of course shoot !!! Not just for me but for anyone else that may have to go through this.

supplies needed....

> loc-tite, green-sleeve retainer grade
> can of brake cleaner
> compressed air

Start by removing springs and retainers, just like you are going to change the seals on the car

Spray the brake clean around the guide where it goes into the head casting, then blow away with the compressed air, make sure all oil traces are removed from this area.

Now with the loc-tite, fill in the small bevel around the guide boss/guide
Let the loc-tite cure fully before allowing oil to get on it

BE WARNED!!! Green sleeve retaing Loc-tite is no joke, If this dose not work, it will make removing the guides that much harder.

IF this does not fix it, when the head comes off, notify the Machinist of this repair, so steps can be taken to remove the guides with out distroying the casting

supplies needed....

> loc-tite, green-sleeve retainer grade
> can of brake cleaner
> compressed air

Start by removing springs and retainers, just like you are going to change the seals on the car

Spray the brake clean around the guide where it goes into the head casting, then blow away with the compressed air, make sure all oil traces are removed from this area.

Now with the loc-tite, fill in the small bevel around the guide boss/guide
Let the loc-tite cure fully before allowing oil to get on it

BE WARNED!!! Green sleeve retaing Loc-tite is no joke, If this dose not work, it will make removing the guides that much harder.

IF this does not fix it, when the head comes off, notify the Machinist of this repair, so steps can be taken to remove the guides with out distroying the casting

Awesome thank you. I had to do something simular to this once already. I had a pin hole in my intake runner right behind a coolant jacket that caused me so many sleeply nights. I used the apoxy stuff by manley and it worked like a dream and the car has since seen 540hp big boost and had zero issues. Could i use that as an option too?
Google Image Result for http://www.pattersonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/thumbnails/miraclesealepoxy.jpg

I do not see a reason why you could not.

The reason I say loc-tite is, it is thin and may ooze down any gouge marks and fill them in also

does the loc-tite have to be 640 or can it be 660,680 or 641

I do not think so, they are all about the same thickness.

The Green sleeve retaining has a higher heat point, thats is why I recomend that one

ill have updates soon, I have the car all back together and for some reason now it wont start. aggghhhh

Well you wanted to Do Some More!! LOL

Well i got the car running. At first it smoked and wouldnt stop smoking but i took it for a spin and let it idle for a while and then all the smoking stopped. I am going to let it get cold again and then start it and see what happens.

Well i started it today and it still seem to smoke. not as bad as before but still smoked which is weird cause last time i let it get warm and it wouldnt smoke at all.

could be some reside in the exhaust that need to be burnt off.

Hey whats the update on this, I Have the exact same issue and am doing the same things to my guides and am hoping that will do the trick. BogusSVO told me how to do it so im curious if it has done anything. Even if it helps my smoke a little ill be happy for now untill im ready for the head to come off again. So let me know how your car is.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back