The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

need taller 5th gear for my fwd help tranny experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo addict

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
I want to know what kind of options I have to get a taller 5th gear. I have a swap in my mirage turbo and my 5th is much too small. I have plenty of torque to drag it around and drive on the interstate much more than I like so anything would help. thanks

I'm not sure if the front diff will fit a 92. Never tried it. The 92 is the trans to get though as it's a lot stronger and has the bigger 5th gear synchro which will fit the EVOIII taller 5th easy.

Jack

I'm not sure if the front diff will fit a 92. Never tried it. The 92 is the trans to get though as it's a lot stronger and has the bigger 5th gear synchro which will fit the EVOIII taller 5th easy.

Jack

I wouldnt mind getting the 1992 tranny but if the diff wouldnt fit then I can't use it. As my axles or only 25 spline (mirage turbo axles) you cant use eclipse axles as they are to long.

There's no way to swap the CV shaft cups over?

Jack

Not that I could find. I was told by another tranny builder to go to driveshaft shop and buy axles (custom) but I would have half of what I have in the car for them. What is different front the 90 to the 92 up? Would I be able to swap any parts over (case or whatever) or as I said do the 25spline diff in the 92 tranny. I also know that a few of the hyundai trannys are similar and wondered if anything would interchange with what I have? I had been told that the sonata 5th is the same ratio as the awd (.666) and swaps right in to what I have, have you heard of this or tried something like that??

Is there some place where I can find the ratios of the Hyundai trannys?

PS thanks for the time and responses

Hello, sorry, but I'm afraid I'm a little weak in that area. I just don't know for sure. I would imagine the cups can be swapped and so can the diffs in the units, but I'm just not 100% sure...

Jack

thanks. I need to get this figured out asap. I blew up 5th gear today on the tranny that is in the car:-( Kinda pissing me off. ever since I put hte 2.0 in I have been having problems one after the other. I tried to get on it in 4th but just spun. So rolled into it in 5th and at 5000-5500 it blew up. I can't win.

So, you have a 91 AWD trans in the car now? or a FWD turbo as it's not clear.

What is your rpm/speed at your cruising speed?

Right now I have a jdm mirage turbo tranny in it but I have a 91 front wheel drive tranny that will need to go in as I killed the 5th gear on jdm tranny in the car. I also have a quaife that is going in the next tranny.

in 5th I am at 3000 at 65mph :-(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back