The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

MY VERY FIRST DSM(pics in profile)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maladora_ai

10+ Year Contributor
May 16, 2009
roseburg, Oregon
ive been around the site for a few weeks now just never did an intro topic so thought i would.

so i picked up a 97 gst for 1200.00 bucks(thought it was a good deal).

heres the skinny on the car,

when i bought it the ce light was on, read the code and came up with egr system failure or something along those lines. the guy that had it before me had unplugged the egr solenoid LOL

also the tube going from the tps to the bov was snapped off at the bov housing.

winshield was busted,and the body is in pretty bad shape.

fixed the check engine light problem, replaced the windshield,and also fixed the bov housing.
now its runnning like it should has a little ticking and seems to be worse when i very first start the car up(no clues on that one).

mods: started with maintance ie:
plugs(bosch platnums)
plug wires (cant remember name)
oil change(10-30 hadnt read about the synthetic at that point)
air filter(stock fram replacement)

then i installed a boost gauge which is showing about 9psi(hmm need to do leak test)thought it was supposed to read 12-14psi

next on the list is:
air filter setup
1gbov
catback exhaust
fmic

what have you guys been doing about the stock crappy pcv valves?thought i seen a few topics on it.

anyways the site :hellyeah:'s and hopefully i can get some pics up when i get these mods done:thumb:

first, get those bosch plugs out of there and put some ngks in. before you do a bov and exhaust and all those goodies, make sure to take care of maintenance. you didnt say how many miles were on it, but i dont doubt it needs a timing belt, water pump, and bs belt. i would then do a boost leak test if you think you have leaks. have you done the bcs mod? if not, your boost may be right where its supposed to be. id hold off on a fmic until you get a bigger turbo, but thats just me.

take care of the maintenance. you need a good foundation before you can start making reliable power.

also, congrats on getting your first dsm. welcome to the dark side.

ya ive noticed a few people on here prefer ngk's but the guy that had it before me had the bosch's in there so thats what i replaced them with but ya next time im down at the autoparts store ill be ordering some ngks'

and ya the timing belt waterpump and bs are on the list.

As stated maintainance first mods after, congrants on the car.

The ticking is probably just lifter tick, its no big deal and happens on almost all of our cars.

The ticking is probably just lifter tick, its no big deal and happens on almost all of our cars.

does lucas help this out at all or running full synthetic oil?

ill be checking that everything is tight when i replace the valve cover with the new one i just got from ebay.

Attachments

• eclipse valve cover.JPG
    eclipse valve cover.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 128
That ticking could also be a sticky valve or something. Not a huge deal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back