The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

My new build/What turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo4awd

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2008
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Ok guys im finishing up my build. Custom wisceo hd 9-1 comp 20 over. Map ulltimate duty rods kiggly girdle acl race bearing. Block is balance n blue printed.
Head is ported polished kiggly beehives bc 272s. Jm fab smim. Arp l19s etc. Rest of mods should be in my profile.
I was thinking and planning on going with a pte6766 but now I'm thinking of throwing the 14b back on and seeing how fast I can get down the 1/4 mile.
If I do go with the stocker should I use the ported exhaust housing from my evo 3 and go with a external gate or stock ported housing and wastegate. I plan on using e85 and I've been slowly removing a lot of weight from the car. If I'm able to beat the 14b record that phil hold id be happy but actually id be happy to just come close to his time.

If you choose to throw the 14b on there I think it would be a no brainer to use the ported evo3 housing with the external wastegate. You get unmatched control with the external wastegate to prevent creeping, compared to the internal gate.

I think putting a 14b on that setup should be a crime. Why put all that time into an awesome build just to still go slow. Go with the 67 or the 6266. Both good turbos that should put you well into the 9's

I think putting a 14b on that setup should be a crime. Why put all that time into an awesome build just to still go slow. Go with the 67 or the 6266. Both good turbos that should put you well into the 9's

Agreed.

And with that kind of money in the motor I would pick a much bigger more efficient turbo then a 14b. Not that the 14b is a horrible turbo. But why throw a 14b on there that is that small of cfm and efficiency and risk a blown turbo due to overworking.

Plus u need to have a big 'ol turbo to compliment that awesome motor you Put all that work into :)

What are your goals? Thats alot of motor for anything less than 600whp if you ask me. If its a drag build go big! Id look at the hybrid GTX4502. This turbo was recommended to me by Dr.Turbo on yellow bullet as being the highest flowing 74mm out right now. Its not cheap though @ around $3k!

My goal when I started the build was to be able to trap min of 110 mph on the 1/8.
Now id like to see 9sec 1/4s. Not saying that ill never slap the big turbon there. But Ive always liked the idea of trying to push the 14b or e3 to it limits. The guy who tunes my car thinks its retarded to use a small turbo on my build just due to the fact if I do blow a turbo and send metal shaving through oil and ruin a motor.

My goal when I started the build was to be able to trap min of 110 mph on the 1/8.
Now id like to see 9sec 1/4s. Not saying that ill never slap the big turbon there. But Ive always liked the idea of trying to push the 14b or e3 to it limits.

If you're shooting for 110 mph in the 1/8th and 9's in the quarter you better look at the bigger turbos. You'll never come close to reaching that with the 14b.:tease:

I know I wont be able to come close to that on a 14b. It would be nice to see what a 14b can do with a moyor that built to use a 4202.

Now id like to see 9sec 1/4s. Not saying that ill never slap the big turbon there. But Ive always liked the idea of trying to push the 14b or e3 to it limits. The guy who tunes my car thinks its retarded to use a small turbo on my build just due to the fact if I do blow a turbo and send metal shaving through oil and ruin a motor.

100% agree with your tuner. Not worth the risk.

So you answered your own question. When you post a build like that people are going to tell you to go with a bigger snail, its common sense. Just maximize your combo with a decent sized turbo and don't look back.

I've ran everything from big 16g's, a 57 trim for almost 10 years, and then went to the PTE6776 (the one before the 6766) and min was ball bearing.. now shrtly after i'm on a holset i built that mimics a hx35/40 hybrid, my favortie so far, spools better than any turbo flowing this kinda air..
I think the 67mm will dissapoint on the steeet, a 14b will dissapoint in top end pull, a holset delivers spool and pull, can't go wrong :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back