The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Modified front subframe, DSM handling tips episode I

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerdrew

DSM Wiseman
Oct 5, 2007
Yokohama, Japan, Asia
Hi everyone, I want to keep this blog going and posting tech. I'd like to keep sharing technical details, but I have almost no free time, so I have to rush through writing. With that said, I cant write it all up from square one to explain all the concepts. So if it's alright with all of you, Id like to try giving you food for thought and get you started on your own research to understand it. That way I can concentrate on trickling down the technology we've developed to help you all go faster sooner.

I recommend a good starter book Carrol Smith, Tune to Win. There is a suspension geometry section that's really good at explaining the basics.

One of the problems we noticed early on with the car was that as we increased grip, the car began to have excessive body roll in the front, this was a big problem and the driver was complaining at our first event, Buttonwillow 2009. The car was rolling over like crazy on the front tires. Nobody likes excessive body roll and it wreaks havoc with camber curves. It was resulting in the car touching onto the bump stops which created big time under steer and handling unpredictably. Driver was unhappy... the car looked bad in the photos (sponsors always love that). But we knew we were taking our first stab at the handling setup we needed some direction and now we had it.

The trouble comes in that both of the two standard methods to address this had big associated problems for our platform.

1) increase the spring rate. Big problem. Buttonwillow, the #1 time attack track is really bumpy and a rough ride isnt just hard on you... it reduces tire grip and driver confidence. Additionally stiffer springs generate more heat in the tires and that was the absolute last thing we need. When you are on street class tires in a 700hp car... trust me those tires get plenty hot.

2) increase sway bar. I had done some testing on this in the past with a custom made piece, the problem was that the front differential didn't like the change the car had less acceleration traction on corner exit and that was costing a lot of time all the way down the straight.

I wasn't sure where to go with it, so I consulted with Robert Fuller at ROBISPEC. His suggestion to build roll resistance into the suspension geometry. ROBISpec modified our front sub frame with the inboard pickup points moved upward. This raised up the front roll center. Robi used precision instruments so that when the change was made it wouldn't upset other important aspects of the cars geometry. This was a huge change, the driver feedback was excellent and the car proceeded to win its biggest victory, willow springs 2009.

IMG_0168.jpg

In Episode II, exploding steering racks after going wide body and the solution.

I also have this modification on my car from Robert Fuller at Robispec. I only had a week on the car after getting it but the roll resistance change was immeeeediately noticeable and awesome! The car no longer was really pitching into turns and held more flat like my Evo. Was pretty amazing and very cool.

Of important note here is that to install the piece as shown there need to be spacers for the lower frame gussets. Also has to be done really well or the frame may not fit perfectly without coaxing. Mine didn't fit exactly right and had to be coaxed into position which was possible thanks to the rubber bushings. I have concerns over that in the long run but Robert and I weren't in a place where we could try to fix things and installed it as is.

Yah, we tested it out on my car and Robi has done it for a few cars since then. It was definately a positive change for our cars. I think our front CG is REALLLLLLYYY high so it works out.

EP2 will be about steering geometry and electric PS 8)

Mine slid right on with solid aluminum mounts. I even tightened up the tolerance on the holes of the bushings. . There is no room for coaxing.
Glad it worked out so well for you .

Can't wait to hear what you have to say about the steering. I'm currently toying around with an EVO rack to see if it can be fitted into our car.

I'd love to here about where you went with solid bushing if your willing to share but total understand if you don't.

Kevin

Good work on the suspension redesign.
I'm just getting into running my GSX hard at Thunderhill and the local road courses.
I found the biggest improvement to the front suspension was a Carbing Strut Tower Bar (very high quality strut bar straight from Japan), and the Tanabe Lower Front Stress Bar, (ties in the lower front sub-frame). Next will be the RRE Front Lower Control Arm Tie Bar.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/han...ng-tanabe-chassis-stiffeners.html#post1624294
This should make another huge improvement.
I know you guys are running much more camber than I am, but I'm able to run -2.5* up front and the inner tire edge doesn't get wiped out after a 5-20min session day...

Id have to look into that but it seems like it would create several other problems and possibly break some rules. The height we are running at now is actually close enough to stock that we havent had a bump steer problem (yet).. that may be in the near future.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back