The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

lowering question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadly BlaZe

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2004
Alpharetta, Georgia
I was thinking about lowering my car but i definatley can't afford to buy springs right now or anything else right now. My friend told me i could just cut my factory springs to lower the car. Is this safe to do? Thanks.

Yes is possible to do but it's a really bad idea because it completely changes the spring rates and the car will ride and corner like crap. Honduh guys do it all the time but on our cars, or any really, it's a bad idea and I would strongly advise against it.

Pure92TSi said:
Yes is possible to do but it's a really bad idea because it completely changes the spring rates and the car will ride and corner like crap. Honduh guys do it all the time but on our cars, or any really, it's a bad idea and I would strongly advise against it.
funny you say that because my friend that told me to cut my springs drives a honda :p but yea that's what i was thinking too, i'm sure there's a way to fix the bad handling/cornering but i guess it would be cheaper to just buy springs.

Yeah you can get a set of lowering springs on ebay for under 100 so i would just save yourself the trouble and buy a set in the long run it will be worth it because it will be less likely to break someothe part of your suspension that could be expensive.

Pure92TSi said:
Yeah you can get a set of lowering springs on ebay for under 100 so i would just save yourself the trouble and buy a set in the long run it will be worth it because it will be less likely to break someothe part of your suspension that could be expensive.

along with springs, would i have to buy a camber kit or is that optional? also, my shocks are REALLY bad, to the point where if i go over a speed bump at like 10mph my front bumper will hit the ground, other than having more problems like that with a lowered car, will the bad shocks do anything else negative?

Look for sprint springs. got mine for 100 dollars shipped on ptuning.com... They work great. :thumb:

I would just save up. If you're lowering much you have to have everything re-adjusted which costs more money. Then your struts will probably give which will cost even more. In my opinion suspension is one thing that should NOT be done DIY.

It might be your springs that are really bad and not your shocks so replacing them will probably help to cure a good bit of that. The camber kit is optiional depending on how much the car will be lowered. Over 2 inches and the camber kit is a must have if you want proper alignment, under that and you might be able to fix it with the stock stuff. As for the shocks if you want to replace them go with KYB GR-2. They aren't realy any more expensive than stock replacements (from the prices I've seen) and they perform better and will accept lowering better than stock shocks.

Pure92TSi said:
It might be your springs that are really bad and not your shocks so replacing them will probably help to cure a good bit of that. The camber kit is optiional depending on how much the car will be lowered. Over 2 inches and the camber kit is a must have if you want proper alignment, under that and you might be able to fix it with the stock stuff. As for the shocks if you want to replace them go with KYB GR-2. They aren't realy any more expensive than stock replacements (from the prices I've seen) and they perform better and will accept lowering better than stock shocks.

on a 91 i will put money on the springs NOT being bad, but that his struts and shocks are blown. even if his springs are somehow bad, that just means his struts and shocks have taken more abuse. unless you are riding around on new struts/shocks, i would NEVER suggest just replacing the springs. its a combo. if the stock struts and shocks aren't blown, then they will be with the lowering of the vehicle.
gr-2s are pretty much a stock replacement part. they really aren't much of a performance upgrade, but they will work fine on a standard spring lowering. your suspension travel will still suck with them and a set of lowering springs, though.
save up and do both at once.

i would just cut the springs until you save up enough money for lowering springs.. my brother cut his on his and they worked fine.. for a while..

xucpxeclipsex said:
i would just cut the springs until you save up enough money for lowering springs.. my brother cut his on his and they worked fine.. for a while..

i think anyone who cuts springs are just to cheap to do it right. Thats the beginning of being a ricer and why people make fun of people with lower cars with the wheels slanted in because they were to cheep to buy the springs and the camber kit to do it right. The next thing you'll tell him to do is buy a big a alummin wing gives you 50hp to the wheels LOL get off this forum :dsm:

rs-t eclipse said:
i think anyone who cuts springs are just to cheap to do it right. Thats the beginning of being a ricer and why people make fun of people with lower cars with the wheels slanted in because they were to cheep to buy the springs and the camber kit to do it right. The next thing you'll tell him to do is buy a big a alummin wing gives you 50hp to the wheels LOL get off this forum :dsm:

You couldn't be more right.

rs-t eclipse said:

Hey now...

For someone on a tight budget cutting the springs is a good way to reduce center of gravity and stiffen the spring rates. Stiffer / lower springs of any type should not be used on badly worn shocks though.

I always look for the cheap way out (cheap meaning lowest cost). Yes, I've had to do some things over but somewhere between the cheapest and the most expensive lies the best compromise. And, Mr. Pay-More-And-Do-It-Right, remember we're all driving bargain sport cars, not Lamborghinis.

wret said:
Hey now...

For someone on a tight budget cutting the springs is a good way to reduce center of gravity and stiffen the spring rates. Stiffer / lower springs of any type should not be used on badly worn shocks though.

I always look for the cheap way out (cheap meaning lowest cost). Yes, I've had to do some things over but somewhere between the cheapest and the most expensive lies the best compromise. And, Mr. Pay-More-And-Do-It-Right, remember we're all driving bargain sport cars, not Lamborghinis.

wret, you are so one to talk. I've seen your how to tech guides. They make for interesting reading. I got to say, if I had to choose a MacGuyver like bubble gum duct tape mechanic on a budget, I'd be looking for you. To answer your question imagine this:

1. You paid $100/tire for your car.
2. You cut the springs and throw the camber off.
3. You drive around for 3-6 months on your cut springs with your tires like this / \ (and people laugh at you as you drive by) :tease:
4. Your nice tires now have a nasty wear pattern and need to be replaced. Your struts and shocks are over worn and need to be replaced, your strut towers have been taking a big impact from your driving for so long with bad shocks and struts. You now have to shell out $100/tire, buy new shocks and struts, and springs, and fix your strut towers :cry: In the end do you think you saved money? ;)

its all BS... i lowered my car with tein springs, when i measured it after they settled, it dropped my car just over 2"... not a single problem with camber or with alignment. Just because your lowering your car doesnt mean that you'll chew through tires. I would strongly suggest against cutting the springs though. You can pick up a set of used springs for like $50, pick up some gr2 shocks on ebay and call it a day. $250 for a decent suspension and no cutting/heating the springs. If you cant afford $250 for a complete suspension setup, you should re-evaluate how far your going to be able to take this modding process

One more time...

When you lower your car, even a little, the camber changes, AND the toe changes. It's not the negative camber that destroys your tires, it's the toe. The most visible change is the camber. Most will correct the camber to some extent for better handling and correct the toe to prevent rapid tire wear.

If you lower you car by "X" amount, Your camber will change a predictable amount whether you're sitting on cut springs or Eibachs and the same number of people will laugh as you drive by. But let's get back to the point.

Is it okay to cut springs? If you know what you are doing and you have calculated the proper amount to cut and you understand the change it will make, sure.

Is it okay to slam a car on worn stock shocks? That would be silly.

blah, just do it right and wait till your next check. if you dont listen to us and cut your springs then you will feel how shitty it feels/rides. sign me up for 1st spot on the 'i told you so' list :sneaky:

Yea, don't cut the springs it will be time consuming and probably cost you more money than just buying new ones in the long run. I would also advise you to buy new struts for your car. When I lowered my 90 dsm the stock struts were shot compared to the KYB gr2's I replaced them with. I only paid $150 dollars shipped for 4 Eibach sportline lowering springs. The struts were a little more expensive but it was well worth it and my dsm doesn't look like an S-10 any more. It handles a lot better too.

one thing everyone is leaving out is that you should NEVER change springs (cut or aftermarket...whatever) without changing out your struts and shocks. so either way, expect to shell out some money to do it (relatively) properly.

hey guys I don't mean to steal this thread at all but I just wanna get one thing straight.. because if there's one thing I've learned since I got this car it's to just save up and do it right the first time (def learned my lesson on that one; over and over again LOL)

I'm saving up and beginning to piece together a suspension for my car with a 2 inch drop (nothing's installed yet I'm waiting to get it all before I put it on), and now I'm looking to get the aftermarket struts and a camber kit... someone earlier in the thread mentioned the KYB gr-2 struts and said they were good.. then after someone said they were pretty much a stock replacement.. so basically what I want to know is which are they then? cuz I'm liking the price, LOL but I'd rather spend more money on better struts then that will last longer on a lowered car then spend less on these and need new ones soon. So sorry this is so long and for taking up your thread deadly blaze but I wanna buy the right thing this time.. the first time LOL :) Thanks!

*Brittney

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back