The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

legal or illegal????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here in Canada i got pulled over in the middle of the night because my tail light fuse was out, and the cop looked at all my LED gauges and just said, "too many gadgets maybe?" I quickly found the blown fuse and was on my way with no tickets :)

no he just said "if we weren't out looking for dui's this late at night i would give you a ticket "

ya ill keep that in mine:thumb:

8k but the thing is that all he said was "the lights you have don't come stock on this car right" n i said no.. an that was all so that was the end of that until he poked hes head inside

no just a warning ^^^^

ya thats true :sneaky:

ya but how is having gauges really considered modding:confused: can some one explain?? i mean its like BoostFrenzy said "They are there to monitor the well being of the engine while driving."

This brings a good point dont the cobalt SS come with a factory gauge pod and i believe the SRT4 well some of those do to. And i know for a fact some diesel trucks do. So are they illegal? stupid ass laws annoy me again im one of those thankful that i live in ohio. :)

you didint do anything wrong man. cops a jack ass. just be respectfull to his face and that all that matters.

I have noticed one thing since I got into these cars in 2003. If the car is clean and all one color, and you are driving normally, the cops really don't bother you.

Case in point, my 97 GS, just got done replacing all the bumpers, hood, hatch, skirts and putting the high rise spoiler on it. The car is part Cayenne and part Sorrano (sp?) and has a silencer in the exhaust and is not that loud. Car looks like Frankenstein. My buddies 99 GSX, all Sorrano, Thermal catback with 3" Megan downpipe, very loud, but looks very clean. We were driving one night and a cop gets behind us, I get pulled over and get a ticket for my exhaust because it is not stock. Even though you could definitely differentiate the difference between my exhaust and his, he never got pulled over, not that night or the night before.

So yeah, maybe there is some profiling going around. I wonder how many of the people who are having these issues have body kits, or paint schemes, or their cars look rough.

do you notice every time you buy a performance part it says for off road use only. thats because any modification to car is illegal. depends on where you live and what state. most cops don't mess with you but, lets say your at the illegal races. the cops will give you every little ticket they can to deter you from coming back. even though most tickets get dropped in court. cop never shows up to court. Ive gotten tickets for exhaust, headlights, being to low to the ground, pillar gauges, and a few other dumb tickets. i never paid a one of them. all dropped because cop never showed to court. so case in point, it is illegal depending on the state and local laws in your area.

What was specifically being asked was for the gauge pods which is why i brought up the SS cobalts and the srt4s and some diesel trucks come with a gauge pods they are no different then an aftermarket one.

Marijuana is legal but having gauges in your car isn't. What a pile of crap. I'm very glad I live in IL.

I can get why they would find some things illegal on cars, but gauges actually help you monitor your engine (modded car or not, that's always good). The only thing I can see that would be an issue is the amount of room they take on the pillar and whether it creates a blindspots (like with those huge tachs). Besides, most come with warning/peak functions so you don't even need to look at them.

I can get why they would find some things illegal on cars, but gauges actually help you monitor your engine (modded car or not, that's always good). The only thing I can see that would be an issue is the amount of room they take on the pillar and whether it creates a blindspots (like with those huge tachs). Besides, most come with warning/peak functions so you don't even need to look at them.

Then join SEMA Action Network...unless we start stripping people of the power we gave them to determine what is the limit of freedom, we will continue to deal with this crap.

Marijuana is illegal, where do you people get this crap?

What do you mean *YOU* people..... jk

I thought a LAW was passed in california to make Marijuana legal in small amounts there.

I swear they did. All my pot head friends were happy and wanted to move there and go to some crappy weed college or something.

It doesn't matter what the clowns in state government do, marijuana is illegal on the federal level and the only time state laws supersede federal is when they are stricter. The DEA can march it's happy little self into your state and bust you for possession any time it wants.

Hes probably thinking of medicinal purposes. About the SRT4, my friends came with it stock and recently another friend who just bought a SS 2ays ago dont think he had one. Cops claim everything we put on our cars as a "distraction"

Thats the part thats messed up some vehicles have them stock well such as the WRX STI's they have a stock boost gauge right on the steering column. So is that a distraction to. It would never hold in court all youd have to do is bring up that there are vehicles that come with them in the same exact place. Or as said before just tell the cop they are stock LOL.

Pulled over a couple months ago...

Cop: What's that? (points at radar detector as if he didn't know)
Me: A radar detector
Cop: Doesn't seem to work very well
Me: Yeah it's a cheap one
Cop laughs

It would have been even funnier if you said:

"It's a radar detector not a cop repellent, clown."

In small towns police can do whatever they would like. They usually pride themselves on harassing tuners and attractive girls.

There are no police to check these police. Leaving superiority complex hyped individuals out there with authority and no fear...

I'd suggest avoiding contact if at all possible.

If you do have to deal with them be honest, and kiss all the ass available. If you bump their ego they will likely let you go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back