The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Just bought engine, PLEASE LOOK!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1glaserfwd

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 25, 2011
salt lake city, Utah
Well I bought a 2.3 stroker from a member on dsmtuners. It has 9:1 wiseco pistons and eagle rods. The seller claims engine was only idled and then pulled on and off a trailer a few times. Upon receipt of the engine I noticed this scratch on number 3 cyl that I can feel with my fingernail and it has me concerned. I am hoping its not a huge deal and wont effect anything. When I turn the engine over it turns over easily and does not seem to be hanging up on anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!! :thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That looks like a rolled oil ring or a terrible job at filing rings. There should no way be any grooves in the cylinder wall that you can easily catch a finger nail on. You may be able to disassemble and run a hone down it and see what it does but I would without a doubt pull that piston out and see whats going on.

PTW issues look different than that. There is normally metal transfer from the AL piston to the steel walls. This seems like a debris issue or a ring.

Hey your thinking and that's what counts. Hopefully he gets it figured out and back and running soon.

I would have to say Viper got it.... Bad ring file, from the location and how high it is, Top ring.

I'd like to add that looking at the crosshatch, the angles are too steep and also too coarse. Looks like something an engine builder would have done 20 years ago when using thick steel rings. It looks like they're glazed over now. Is the block standard bore?

JAM... hard to see, but if you look close on the top of the piston in the pic, it is marked as a 86

So thats a .040 bore.

Also I would agree on the finish of the bore, maybe a 220 grit, used for the old steel rings (Hastings 139)

SHould be finished with about a 360 grit for a moly ring.

Now the angle could be from a tired machinist with an old manual hone, think Kwik-Way 090.

But Jam... I bet you are spoiled in your shop and have a CK10 or better!! :D

Before I would even consider disassembling this engine or dropping another penny...I would get ahold of the member who sold it you and sen it back right where it came from. I'm pretty sure you didn't pay cheap.
Unless, of course you were well aware of what you were buying.

Now the angle could be from a tired machinist with an old manual hone, think Kwik-Way 090.

But Jam... I bet you are spoiled in your shop and have a CK10 or better!! :D

Nope, we use a Rottler power-assist manual hone and know how to use it. The CK-10 is a nice machine for high-volume production and rebuild work, but for performance engines I don't want the machine to do the thinking for me.

I am still jelous!! A power assit would be nice!! I use a W-VN 1002 with counter balance.... It makes for a good work out across the chest tho!

Was the head installed when you recived it? or was it just a short block?

I would of been iffy about it as soon as the guy said it had only been idled and pulled off a trailer. Who the hell builds a 2.3 strocker and goes through all the trouble of buying parts and trips to the machine shop and all the other madness to just install the engine in a car to drive the car off a trailer....

Nobody would do that. Who ever built the motor used it for what it was built for. And that was to put the engine through hell. No mild built dsm is gonna rock a 2.3L engine to only use a small mhi turbo, let alone use a 2.3 to just pull a car off a trailer. That engine was rode hard and put away wet and the guy who sold it to you knew that! Sorry bout your bad luck man. Hope you get issue resolved.

I would of been iffy about it as soon as the guy said it had only been idled and pulled off a trailer. Who the hell builds a 2.3 strocker and goes through all the trouble of buying parts and trips to the machine shop and all the other madness to just install the engine in a car to drive the car off a trailer....

Nobody would do that. Who ever built the motor used it for what it was built for. And that was to put the engine through hell. No mild built dsm is gonna rock a 2.3L engine to only use a small mhi turbo, let alone use a 2.3 to just pull a car off a trailer. That engine was rode hard and put away wet and the guy who sold it to you knew that! Sorry bout your bad luck man. Hope you get issue resolved.

Yeah bro I know it makes me sick:barf:, I always get screwed on the internet so I dont know why I went for it. The guy had great ratings and I talked to him on the phone and it sounded ok. Said he had to many projects and was parting this one out!! I am pretty bummed I hope its just can be honed out and have some new rings intalled. Taking it to a local machine shop tomorrow!:notgood:

Had a issue like that with my 6 bolt, for your future reference NEVER buy a used engine unless you plan on rebuilding it, PERIOD! Sometimes you get lucky but most of the time it seems like I fail in that aspect.

Im going to agree with viper. I had a 7bolt engine with the exact same look in the cylinder wall. The bottom oil ring had been folded over during a half assed instillation of a previous owner.

If the scratch catches your nail, more than likely you need a hone at minimum. If a bore is needed, its time for new pistons. Sorry to hear you got burned.

Anytime I take interest in a used engine, I request pics of the oil pan, bottom end, each cylinder with the piston at its lowest point, and any assembly photos.

This is what mine looked like:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I guess my bad for trusting a guy that said an engine was only idled!! I just figured he wasnt a liar but oh well I guess next time ill be more careful! Oh wait I wont buy another used engine hahahaha!

So did you have this shipped or did you pick it up? I know for sure I wouldn't have bought it if it looked like that on an idle..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back