The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Just bought a new car....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarhero14

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 2, 2005
Missoula, Montana
My first DSM, a 1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD w/ 66k miles. Very clean car. I get it tomorrow and i am freakin excited. Just thought i would let you all know :). Any advice?

Nice. Ignore lifter tick its normal. If you've got time and want to really over look your car, check the plugs, wires, oil, trans fluid (transcase and rear diff) radiator fluid, belts (timing also), ECU (Maybe its EPROM already)

Make sure you look into doing "FREE MODS", if your going to mod your car that is. (You are on DSM tuners so I am guessing you are...) install a boost gauge and boost controller, and enjoy running 16 PSI on your turbo (No need to really go past that.)

I forgot some other stuff, I'm sure. :thumb:
If you havent' learned about your car yet, look forward to hours of reading, this site will be one of your best friends if you don't already use it - but be sure to ask any questions at all. :thumb:

http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

Enjoy your car in the snow. They are fun cars.

Awesome find man, I just bought a Tsi for $3200 with 130k on it. Post some pics.

Spookcorleone - What does EPROM ECU mean? I know the guy I bought it from said mine is EPROM. Thanks.

What is an EPROM?
What is an EPROM ECU?
An EPROM is an electrically programmable read-only memory, or a type of computer memory that can be programmed only once, but read an unlimited number of times. EPROM ECUs have such a memory IC installed in them. This memory holds the program code that controls the ECU behavior. The EPROM is a separate chip from the microcontroller (computer chip) that actually runs the program. This makes it easy to change the ECU programming, since only the EPROM need be replaced, and EPROMs and their associated programming tools are relatively common.

The alternative, a non-EPROM ECU, does not have an EPROM. Instead, the program is stored inside the microcontroller itself (technically, in embedded EPROM memory that is part of the microcontroller). This makes it hard to change the ECU programming, because the microcontroller needs to be replaced. These are difficult to get, and require special programming tools that are equally difficult to find.

Courtesy of 1000 already answered questions :thumb: . Its a great sire if you have a question about a DSM then here are your answers. Also Guitar nice pic up price for the Talon I would be stoked too if I was you!!! :rocks: Sam

Awesome deal, make sure you teat her well and she'll return the favor. Did you ask if the 60K maintenance has been performed? Among other things, this usually consists of the timing belt being replaced (which is pretty costly if you don't do it yourself).

fluids were replaced and whatnot but no timing belt. how much do you think it will run without doing it myself?

You can get a bundle deal at www.slowboyracing.com I paid about $350 for a complete timing belt swap, waterpump, front cover gasket set, balance shaft eliminator kit, and next day shipping. It's extremely important to have the timing belt swapped every 60K since these DSMs are interference motors. www.vfaq.com has a lot of useful info to help out.

i am going to get the timing belt changed out next week sometime. but man is that car fun! i put 70 miles on it last night just driving it around. i will post pics soon.

guitarhero14 said:
i am going to get the timing belt changed out next week sometime. but man is that car fun! i put 70 miles on it last night just driving it around. i will post pics soon.

Yeah I put a oil changes worth of miles when I got my car in the first week. Have fun.

Nice :thumb: . I'm diggin the tint too it adds alot of character. Do you have any plans for it?

Nice! I perfer the 2g talon over the eclipse. /me dodges I know im in the minority.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back