The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Is something wrong? (Clutch Pictures)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Mr Steve

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
Spanaway, Washington
My TOB went out so I tore out my clutch and this is what I found. Should my pressure plate fingers have a groove like that wore into it, or is this because the TOB was going out. Should my pressure plate have grooves in the friction surface, and those rivet marks (it looks like the clutch friction material was just resting on the pressure plate for a long time)? Also, I included a picture of my TOB. Also, on my new pressure plate there is a "rivet" where my old pressure plate doesn't have one. Is this going to be ok?

Attachments

• pressure plate friction close.JPG
    pressure plate friction close.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 88
  • disc close.JPG
    disc close.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 103
  • rivet close.JPG
    rivet close.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 91
  • rivet far.JPG
    rivet far.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 96
  • pressure plate close.JPG
    pressure plate close.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 89
Wow that can't be good change out the throw out bearing and put a little grease on it also might as well change the clutch while you have everything apart.

UNDER_PRESSURE said:
Wow that can't be good change out the throw out bearing and put a little grease on it also might as well change the clutch while you have everything apart.

might aswell change the clutch??? It is down to the rivets...You have to change it, it is wore right out.....And to the original question the rivet in the new clutch is fine....:thumb:

UNDER_PRESSURE said:

:rolleyes: Are you sure I can't re-use this throwout bearing? I figured a little grease and it should be fine...

My question, though, was is there a problem somewhere in there that would cause the TOB to wear such a deep groove in the pressure plate? All of the components there (obviously) are being replaced. I just wanted to know if anything looked bad in such a way that it looks like I'm going to need to replace anything else (I don't know if what I'm seeing is "normal" wear).

Do not reuse the throw out bearing ever, specially when you have it out like that, it isn't an expensive part. For the throw out bearing to wear into the diaphragm:

1. Not enough free play (Check for specs)
2. Riding the clutch too much. When you are at a light, put it in Neutral instead of holding the clutch down in 1st gear.
3. Worn out clutch = too little freeplay

When the clutch disc wears, the diaphragm gets pushed out more because of the pivots. When the diaphragm gets pushed out more, it gets closer to your TOB.

Ultimatedsm said:
Do not reuse the throw out bearing ever, specially when you have it out like that, it isn't an expensive part.

Holy crap, guys. I was kidding... The throwout bearing is obviously completely trashed, it's in 4 or 5 pieces in the pictures.

Thanks for the info on why the wear may be in the pressure plate. I'll be sure to adjust it properly after my clutch install.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back