The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Is my ECU fried? With pictures.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horizontalkev

Supporting VIP
Jun 28, 2010
great bend, Kansas
I am fighting a no start issue, just cranks over. Engine light does come on after turning key then shuts off after 5 seconds like normal but I can't connect the application Torque to my ecu anymore.. Here are pictures
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As you can see there are some yellow gum looking areas and bubbles.. Will this keep me from starting, but still illuminate the engine light like normal? I don't smell nothing fishy

Yea the component near "d308" looks fine in that pic. Time to go through the "no-start" threads and just go down the list. Probably nothing too complicated.
Running any tank dry can do 2 things: clog the pick up filter or even the main filter or 2, fuel keeps the pump cool. running really really low like that overheats fuel pumps. You need to check rail pressure.

I still think that ECU is garbage. I've been through 3 ECU's in my 1g and none of them looked that bad, and my car still wouldn't run on 2 of them, and 1 of them had like permanent 2 step from some kind of short. I really think you should find someone local that can toss you an ECU out of a known running car just to make sure.

Anybody want to buy an ECU? Lol. Today I will put carb cleaner into the intake and see if it tries to start. If so, fuel filter will be on order. Maybe the FP dying down rather quickly might have something to do with my recent sending unit/bulkhead work. Im pretty sure the fuel pump is seated correctly, then again I had the no start issue before that so idk.

Problem solved... Was messing with the car all night and noticed my spark plugs were black, and then looked back and my previous problems and realised overtime I was have more and more issues with the car from running rich, stalling out once rpms dropped, hard starts to the decreased fuel mileage and hesitating/sputtering at lower RPMs.. Then it hit me, damn fuel pressure regulator must have gave out, checked the vacuum line to it and sure enough fuel was present.. Used a friends old fpr and it started right up. Thanks guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back