The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

installing tbelt and bent valves

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLOHS7844

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2011
Appleton, Wisconsin
When installing a timing belt, I had the cam marks pretty much lined up (both could have been turned in just a hair) and I was rotating the crankshaft so to line up that mark. It got kinda hard to rotate it (no spark plugs so no compression) and it made a weird noise, somewhat like a scraping noise. Is it possible that I bent some valves?

yes and no. It did get harder but it was something that didn't take much force. Maybe 20ft/lbs? That is a very rough estimate btw. It was noticeably harder than it was before that

When I turned one of the camshafts a quarter turn I was able to continuously rotate the crankshaft easily

I doubt that you messed anything up.

Did this happen right as you were getting the mark lined up?

Yeah I've done the same thing and never bent valves before so as long as you weren't cranking on it real hard I'd say you're probably fine.

When my cam timing marks looked a hair off it was when my dowel pins for the cam were facing down, they looked perfectly strait with them up. Make sure you didn't time it 180* out, but I don't know if that would effect the valve clearances.

You can also do a garage leak-down test with a compression tester fitting and regulated air to check for bent valves.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back