The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Hood latch issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

609DSM

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2019
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Hey all, so I noticed my hood latch on my talon is "loose" so to speak. It doesnt keep the hood fully latched, tried looking at it and nothing seems out of the ordinary. The problem is I can easily pull the hood up with my hands even though its "fully latched in". The primary latch that holds the hood down, not the secondary you push to lift the hood up.

Is it possible the latch is faulty from wear and I need a new one? Anyone have experience with this issue? It bothers me because I want that hood latch working before I get the car back on the road.

You can adjust the latch, and it may need lubed. My rear hatch latch on the laser wouldn't release unless I banged on the hatch while pulling the release. Pulled, cleaned, lubed, reinstalled and adjusted, works like a charm now. I've had to do it for the hood release too on my talon. It's just a small amount of wear probably or being pushed around over the years, needs adjusting.

Hey all, so I noticed my hood latch on my talon is "loose" so to speak. It doesnt keep the hood fully latched, tried looking at it and nothing seems out of the ordinary. The problem is I can easily pull the hood up with my hands even though its "fully latched in". The primary latch that holds the hood down, not the secondary you push to lift the hood up.

Is it possible the latch is faulty from wear and I need a new one? Anyone have experience with this issue? It bothers me because I want that hood latch working before I get the car back on the road.

I would oil everything, I don't think you would have to replace it. There should be do rubber grommets that "thread" into the front frame, that you should be able to thread in and out. This should put more tension on the hood. These were missing from my car and I had the same issue.

I would oil everything, I don't think you would have to replace it. There should be do rubber grommets that "thread" into the front frame, that you should be able to thread in and out. This should put more tension on the hood. These were missing from my car and I had the same issue.
Ia have mine on the car. Maybe I need to thread them in some, could be too much pressure pushing on the hood causing it to not fully latch

If those bushings were too far out (taller), you'd be able to feel the resistance they give when you try to push down. The way you described it, doesn't make the bushings seem to be the culprit in this case. Not a bad idea, just doesn't sound like the cause to me. I would do what ThunderChild suggested and pull out the latch clean, lube, and reinstall and adjust. I would also for the hell of it, check your release cable assembly. If it's snagged somewhere, and applying tension to the release lever on the latch, it might just keep if from fully locking down. Just another thought to check out.

If those bushings were too far out (taller), you'd be able to feel the resistance they give when you try to push down. The way you described it, doesn't make the bushings seem to be the culprit in this case. Not a bad idea, just doesn't sound like the cause to me. I would do what ThunderChild suggested and pull out the latch clean, lube, and reinstall and adjust. I would also for the hell of it, check your release cable assembly. If it's snagged somewhere, and applying tension to the release lever on the latch, it might just keep if from fully locking down. Just another thought to check out.
Yeah the lever in the dash is super loose feeling. Nothing like with my eclipse, it releases and the end of me pulling it instead of the middle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back