The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Help with Rod selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo4awd

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2008
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
I ordered a set of map ultimate duty rods back in march. They were on backorder and i was told 4 to 8 weeks on them. Now were pushing close to 6 months. Map wants me to switch rods and my options are brian crowers or manley turbo tuffs. What rods would you guys recommend if not the map ultimate dutys.
I could also go with grp alum. rods or rnr alum. rods.
The map rods are the only ones that i know of that have the 7/16 rod bolts the rest are smaller diameter.

What's your rev limit going to be? Piston choice?

I'd go with either the Manleys or GRPs. I try to avoid anything BC sells.

This is for your 90' block right?
I'd choose the hybrid 6 bolt (22mm pin diameter) Grodens and get a set of ARP 625+ con rod bolts for high rpm use, or else I'd go with the Turbo Tuff Manleys (they come with ARP2000 bolts) for a stroker build.

goal is 1000 hp Id like to rev to 10.5. Which is another reason i want the map rods. I have custom wiseco pistons.

I know the race car (fdsm) has had Crower rods in it, and those held up well. I have never been a fan of manley products, but that is completely my personal opinion.

I feel your pain on the backorder, I have literally bought and sold 2 cars since I was going to pick up a set, and even then there was a backorder of a couple weeks. I work there and can't even get a set :(.

1000hp is asking for a lot. Not trying to burst your bubble but its not gonna happen over night and its not gonna be cheap. Just my .02. but by all means go for it!

I never said it would happen overnight I alway over build my cars. In all actuality ill maybe make 700 to 800whp. And trust me i already know that its not going to be cheap. Ive owned, driven, built , and beat the hell outta dsms for 12 years.
Not Trying to come off as a A$$ but I hate that everytime someone post what their goals are there is always at least one person to jump in and add their 2 cents.
You didnt add any advice or even an opinion about rods. Just because your car will probaly never reach anything close to what my car will does not mean that the next guys wont..

I never said it would happen overnight I alway over build my cars. In all actuality ill maybe make 700 to 800whp. And trust me i already know that its not going to be cheap. Ive owned, driven, built , and beat the hell outta dsms for 12 years.
Not Trying to come off as a A$$ but I hate that everytime someone post what their goals are there is always at least one person to jump in and add their 2 cents.
You didnt add any advice or even an opinion about rods. Just because your car will probaly never reach anything close to what my car will does not mean that the next guys wont..

I gave you my opinion on rods. If you want to daily drive it, then go with Manley turbo tuffs or equivalent rod. For just drag only, go an alum rod such as Groden, GRP, etc.

I'm going for 700whp myself but want to street drive it. Manley TT's/Wiseco HD customs. Was going to go alum rod but mind changed.

Lewis Ludwig via MyTouch 4G

I gave you my opinion on rods. If you want to daily drive it, then go with Manley turbo tuffs or equivalent rod. For just drag only, go an alum rod such as Groden, GRP, etc.

I'm going for 700whp myself but want to street drive it. Manley TT's/Wiseco HD customs. Was going to go alum rod but mind changed.

Not You buddy.

Eagle H beams with L19 rod bolts. People use these with just the arp 2000 rod bolts and go over 800 with no problems. But just to be safe I went with the arp L19 rod bolts that Grodens come with. Most never have a problem and and more money too!

Have aluminum rods been proven to handle daily street abuse? That's what I have always been afraid of. I would be getting Turbo Tuffs with that power goal if it was me.

I think Chris Keagy has like 15k on his alum rod motor. But I still wouldn't not trust them for daily driving. Unless you don't mind checking rod bolts every weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back