The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

help...my transmission bangs frequently

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atblacktalon92

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2002
winnipeg, Manitoba_Canada
everytime im slowing down and going for a stop my tranny bangs like someone hit my rear bumper lightly...i got 92 automatic tranny :( does anyone know what might be causing this?... plz dun tell me i need a new tranny:( i hope its just a minor fix... tell me what u guys think...thnx later all.

i had that same problem with my 98. all my seals were bad and the tranny needed rebuilt along with a new drive axle. im not sure in your case what needs done but it was doing the same thing in mine. mine still does it sometimes but i have weak motor mounts so im just replacing all of them along with a new tranny mount and poly urethane inserts. take it to a transmission shop and get it checked out. it could be something more minor but i had to have a new tc installed. so i just got a high stall torque converter along with a shift kit and its alot better.

Really sounds like what happens when your motor mounts turn to powder. Replace any mounts that look worn. Might also be prudent to get a set of Energy Suspension polyurethane inserts to stiffen them up a bit. They will make a rubber mount last a lot longer.
-=B-=

that happened to me when i had my 1992 civic auto..i found out that the drive axle was all messed up to s**t..i noticed this when i was driving and when slowing down, it will downshift really hard and felt like the car was being smacked in the back.. i also took it to my shop and the guy said some of the gears had missing teeth..

What are you feeding that thing? It shouldn't be banging anything, it's a car. :laugh:

Make sure your fluid level is full when the tranny is warm, sometimes that's all it takes. :D

This is a common aging complaint with these units.

thanx for the info guys...i'll try changing my tranny fluid and get this so called syncro shift brand...but this might involve my idling cuz i noticed that during when my engine is really cold, (here weather goes low like -20 to -30)my idling goes high around 1500 rpm, and cruzin on highway speed makes my engine temp drops below operating temp,,,even if i slow down,,my idling RPM is still around 1500 possibly makin my tranny bangs around 2nd and 1st gear...but ne ways i'll get my motor mounts and drive axels checked soon if theres no improvement after i changed my tranny fluid....by the way how much would a motor mount cost? ..thnx later all.

The problem is also sometimes caused by a faulty closed throttle switch, found at the base of the gas pedal or incorporated into the tps- depending on the year.

the temp here rises from -17 to -6 ,,i noticed that my tranny didn't bang at all the whole time im driving it at work and going home...then the next day the temp falls down to -15 and my tranny bangs again like before ...damn! sumtin to do with the engine temperature...winter sux!!! i cant wait till summer season comes :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back