The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Has anyone here broken an H beam rod?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywood_ikr

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 17, 2006
el paso, Texas
I've looked and somebody has asked this question before but got no reply.

I am wondering if anyone has actually seen with their eyes an Eagle H beam rod break due to too much power? I'd also like to know how hard people have pushed them.

Not to be confused with broken rod due to improper engine building.

Attachments

• received_1002376389844880 (Small).jpeg
    received_1002376389844880 (Small).jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 320
I did ok on my Eagle rods 10 years ago and made plenty of power for 3 years of major abuse in a DD 2.3L 7-bolt Eagle/Ross combo. Heck, the rods and pistons are still in a car to this day running with around 600AWHP. I was doing 750-800AWHP and 650+TQ for quite some time on it. Rod bearings were peened and I bent the cut down crank; the rods, wrist pins and pistons were great and lasted another 8 years. I had around 35,000 miles of 600+AWHP the entire time. It did 766AWHP / 660TQ at 44psi, and it didn't go back on the dyno after i fixed the valve float because I killed the turbo and a few transmissions. I know it did 150mph 1/4's no problem at 44-45psi as a daily driver.

I ran pretty conservative timing and always left power on the table. I am sure I could have put out 825-850AWHP on that setup if I felt like it, and if the crank didn't bend I would have gone higher than the 52psi I was running up to.

With eagle rods ARP2000's are fine. If you are trying to find the limits of Eagle rods above 800AWHP, then I'd suggest L19 rod bolts, and definitely upgraded wrist pins for the pistons. I would personally suggest going to the thick-wall wrist pins above 650AWHP on any setup.

With eagle rods ARP2000's are fine. If you are trying to find the limits of Eagle rods above 800AWHP, then I'd suggest L19 rod bolts, and definitely upgraded wrist pins for the pistons. I would personally suggest going to the thick-wall wrist pins above 650AWHP on any setup.

Thanks for the great reply. I'm looking to be around 800 Hp but was very concerned about the rods. I had just never seen an h rod break nor heard of one breaking from power alone. I did read on other forums that rpm is more detrimental than high output such as through engine braking. Any truth to that?

There's a guy on link forum Johnytsi that was running on eagles 2.3 42 psi 9500 rpm 170 shot an d after 3 years the rods have streched to breaking point. So yes rpm is a factor. Strange enough arp 2000 where ok and big end that rod was still bolted on the crank .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back