The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

"greyforest hood mod" on a Carbon fiber hood??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's funny, he's getting a CEL with the stock hood but with a vented hood he doesn't? And my last post didn't make sense? Sheesh. None the less it's useless! It isn't even needed, you do it because you want to and that's all I'm saying. So what if you do want to, it's still a waste.

And there is NO hard fact from time tested and multi-tried testing that shows having a vented hood for "heat to escape" allows the car to be "quicker". Get off that.

The CEL is from having Link or some type of tuning device that turns on the cel at a given coolant temp. So lets say his is programmed to come on at 219 deg. Without the vent there was too much heat being held under the hood and Under certain conditions his car would het hotter than 219 deg turning on the CEL. Now with the vent he is allowing enough heat escape to keep his engin coolant temp BELOW his PREFERRED temp of 219. As well as that fact It is POSSIBLE that if a vent is efficient enought that it could evaccuate enough heat to help the efficiency of an engine. Therefore creating more power. I wish I could find the link to a diagram that shows the basics of how air flows over any "modern" styled car. Maybe then you would see the possible benifits of doing a mod like this. No I dont have this mod done and I dont have plans to do so any time soon. But this has proven Its self more than once to be a solid mod for somebody that is holding too much heat under the hood.

to end the argument, i just found this online, but couldnt copy the link so youll have to look it up yourself. it was an article basically stating that in high tech motors for industrial applications, they are using liquid nitrogen to cool the engines for the purpose of, and i quote, "make a more efficient motor, thereby producing larger quantities of power, through the process of extreme cooling."

whats thet mean??? cooler motor = more efficient motor = MORE POWER

While everyone bickers on here. It's your car, do as you please. I believe an Import Tuner magazine did a article about shimming your hood, and that in heavy traffic (stop and go) it did relieve temps down. My friend used to have a supercharged focus and had a carbon fiber hood with vents in it. Well every time it would rain, his car would start missing and running horrible. Finally after we looked at it the water coming through the vents was going down into the spark plug tubes, and also getting on his coil pack, causing horrible misfires.

But to each his own, just support them.

Nice ride, but the vent are kind off.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
:hmm:

The CEL is from having Link or some type of tuning device that turns on the cel at a given coolant temp. So lets say his is programmed to come on at 219 deg. Without the vent there was too much heat being held under the hood and Under certain conditions his car would het hotter than 219 deg turning on the CEL. Now with the vent he is allowing enough heat escape to keep his engin coolant temp BELOW his PREFERRED temp of 219. As well as that fact It is POSSIBLE that if a vent is efficient enought that it could evaccuate enough heat to help the efficiency of an engine.

Well said, thanks. I didn't think I had to explain that, guess I was wrong ;)

so to interex... with all of this information about keeping an engine cooler will help it perform better where do you get that it is useless? i mean lets go back into the history of cars and see tht there are countless cars that were built with some kind of hood vent :confused: i dont know maybe the tech engineers dont know what they are tlaking about even though they have there degrees:hmm:just a thought then as we talking about the vents look at the evo.... stock vented hood so they do serve a purpose
and as for Panda :thumb: it looks good and you were only replying to let people know that you had done the mod. the thread originally asked if any body had done it on a cf hood and panda answered it. he didnt argue over petty bs like interex has but...

interex props for having your own opinion but remember they are like a-holes every body gots them and they all stink so instead of bashing on some one stop and reconsider. we are not on here to make people feel like shit for doing something or not doing something. we are here to learn and share what we have and plan to do or have done

thank you dsm crowd for your time reading my 2cents

Yeah my Evo style hood pulls the hot air out of my engine bay. You can just feel the heat radiating from the vents when I part the car after a long drive

Now I know I'm just NT, but underhood temps did go down and my car did feel a bit more responsive after I added the hood.

Now for the OEM style CF hood and cutting it, my thing is why didn't you just buy a hood with vents in it already LOL.

Good luck on whatever you plan to do

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back