The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Flywheel grinding into my starter.....pictures inside

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Newfield, New_Jersey
Hi guys. I got the engine out of my car a few days ago. I'm going to be buying a new shortblock soon, so I've been taking the engine apart. I took the starter and head off today, and was pretty surprised at what I saw. This can't be normal, so I figured I'd post some pictures to see if you guys have any answers.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's obvious that the flywheel was grinding into the starter...but why? Any and all help is appreciated.

Actually guys, I have no idea. The car hasn't started since I've owned it. I bought it as a project car.

There is the possibility also that the previous owner had a problem with some bolts coming loose on the trans and allowing it to lean into the flywheel.Also too I didn't think our cars had any shims behind the starter. I know my 1G doesn't.If you have never started the car I would check the flywheel whenyou get it apart to make sure it is true.I would lean towards my first assumption before I got to worried though. Keep us posted

well im sure he doesnt since it been doing it for a while obiously

Actually I'm hearing grinding when I start my car, and I was wondering if it was caused by something similar. Mine has been grinding for over 6 months, so time has nothing to do with it, OBVIOUSLY.WTF

You actually do have a "type" of shim (Below is a pic, Top left of flywheel). If anyone has ever pulled the tranny you would be able to see this. I don't think it would be a big of enough difference to cause this though.

Possibly a wrong starter.

Maybe a 2g starter or 1G AT starter that you have there.

Actually I'm hearing grinding when I start my car, and I was wondering if it was caused by something similar. Mine has been grinding for over 6 months, so time has nothing to do with it, OBVIOUSLY.WTF

Do you have a vibration any where in your rpms? Weither while driving or just in neutral?

Could it possibly be an extreme case of crankwalk? Check for crankshaft movement, also check your crank angle sensor for damage. I am not sure but its a thought.

For your situation, I had a similiar problem. It turned out that the starter was starting to go bad and it wasn't fully disengaging from the flywheel so it would hit the flywheel for about 2 seconds and then become silent. Got a new starter and problem solved.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back