The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G First Transmission Build! Screwed it up already!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mham2k

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I like DIY and learning which is why I built it in the first place. So i'm happy to learn and solve the issue, I don't want to send it out to anyone.

I swapped dogbox gears, rails, forks, ect. from a 91-94 trans into my into my current 2G trans. Modified the case where I needed to. Thanks @twicks69 for giving me direction there, It was working fine but I noticed it was hard to get into reverse and 5th, probably shimmed those too tight. I attempted to shim everything to factory spec. (used plumbers solder)

While doing some test driving the car got stuck in reverse, when trying to pull it out using the clutch and gas I somehow popped the pin out of my shift linkage and it came off of the transmission. When I put it back on I found the car stuck in second, first feels empty, neutral goes back and forth as it should but the car is still in second gear. When I move into second it feels like it going into gear, not sure what that is. I know this isn't first because I have to ride the clutch to get the car going before I disengage it completely. The car shifts into the rest of the gears fine but the car will only move back and forth then stop when I lift off of the clutch because the engaged gear is locking up the rest.

I'm thinking my shifter mechanism or the bottom of my 1st shift rail is off or broken somehow.

Any thoughts on this? I know I will need to take the trans and apart just thinking before I crack it back open.

Sounds like you have something binding up internally. Like you said, it needs to be opened up. I don't see shimming really affecting reverse and 5th, more like something is tweaked.

The best suggestion I can give you is to take a spare mid case and cut a window into it so you can inspect things internally while it's assembled. Then you can see what is really going on.

Sounds like you have something binding up internally. Like you said, it needs to be opened up. I don't see shimming really affecting reverse and 5th, more like something is tweaked.

The best suggestion I can give you is to take a spare mid case and cut a window into it so you can inspect things internally while it's assembled. Then you can see what is really going on.
That's a really good idea, what material do you use to cover the window? Plexi glass?
Or is it something that you can open and close.

That's a really good idea, what material do you use to cover the window? Plexi glass?
Or is it something that you can open and close.
you don't cover it, it's just a temporary case so you can see things in action while bench testing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Regarding your 5th/Rev shifting issues, I am suspecting one of two things. Either you are missing or crushed the crush washers too much for reverse light switch and reverse lockout switch, or you have popped loose/broken springs or mushroomed synchro keyways on the 5th/Rev synchros.

Easy way, loosen up the reverse switch and try shifting with car stationary, then loosen the reverse light switch and try shifting. Does it get better? If so, you need to replace the crush washers on both and thoroughly inspect the reverse light switch for flat spotting around the detent ball. If neither of those help, then you have trashed 5th/Rev synchro keyways that are mushroomed up and are jamming in the 5th/Rev hub and slider.

Regarding your 5th/Rev shifting issues, I am suspecting one of two things. Either you are missing or crushed the crush washers too much for reverse light switch and reverse lockout switch, or you have popped loose/broken springs or mushroomed synchro keyways on the 5th/Rev synchros.

Easy way, loosen up the reverse switch and try shifting with car stationary, then loosen the reverse light switch and try shifting. Does it get better? If so, you need to replace the crush washers on both and thoroughly inspect the reverse light switch for flat spotting around the detent ball. If neither of those help, then you have trashed 5th/Rev synchro keyways that are mushroomed up and are jamming in the 5th/Rev hub and slider.
Ok will check that, thanks!

Just for closure, I broke my 1-2 shift rail end and damaged a few of my dogs, no not bad damage but I need to learn how to downshift this thing.

I have a backup 1-2 rail, need someone to make some aftermarket rail ends soon. LOL I'm sure I will break it again.

I sent white shed speed a note to see where they are on them.

@twicks69 did this on 2 downshifts, how bad are they? Who can fix them? Is it just finding a local welder or sending them to ppg?

I don't down shift mine unless i'm crawling and yep that looks like it's been remachined allready. Weird tool path. There was some guy doing them. I think Tim knows who. I'm going to be tooling up to re cut mine soon enough, probably has another season left if I don't screw up.

Shouldn't happen on down shifts unless you aren't using the clutch and you are just slamming it into gear without blipping the throttle, or if the selector cage / shift rail detents/ 5th cover rail limiters have not been clearanced correctly for full shift extension.

Yes, someone already machined the heck out of that gear, and never ramped the dogs. That one definitely won't take another repair, but you can clean it up and ramp it a little to help. I can't see much of any sort of back-cut on the engagement face either.

For future reference, gear repairs can be done by:
Tom Lisner at NRGTech
99A Bell St. West Babylon, NY 11704
[email protected]
Tel: 631-243-6674

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back