The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Viscous Coupling - Screwed Up??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverback

Probationary Member
Feb 17, 2005
Rockledge, Florida
Okay, what does it take to totally fry the vicious coupling (1G 1990)? -- 1 mile of light driving with low revs? 10 miles? 20? Lots of revs????

Rear axle gave way at highway speed (75mph), I pulled over and limped very slowly for about a mile to an exit. Did I fry the VCU?

I'm replacing the three bolt with a 4 bolt and haven't gotten the replacement as yet and want to be prepared if the VCU is toast.

Thanks

Yea should be fine, Dont drive on it..... My V/c Locked up in one trans, But when I replaced
The new trans had a Good V/c and it drove slow as shit on high reves just seemed to wrap
Out, Turned out I had a Broken Rear axel. The slow thing show that the V/C is Doing its
Job..... :thumb:

Thanks for the info, looks like I may have dodged the VC bullet.

silverback said:
Thanks for the info, looks like I may have dodged the VC bullet.

I doubt you did any damage to it but if you did, its no real big issue. A vc can be had cheap and easy. A replacement only takes about 30 minutes and only requires a little rtv and new tranny fluid.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back