The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Finally got my VIS CF hood.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bad1g

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 2, 2003
North_CarolinaUS
After a rediculous amount of time i finally recieved a "good" hood from VIS. Sheesh what a PITA this whole order turned out to be...anyhoo. the hood looks awesome and im terrified to touch it for fear of phockin it up LOL. I have yet to put it on the car, but ill post some pics up as soon as i do.

AC

What's the point of this thread? You don't even have pics. Yea I'm gonna start a new post to say I filled up the gas tank today. :rolleyes:

what color is your car? i have a red GS-T with VIS CF hood, i have pins sitting in my closet but havn't put them on. i tried to have the body shop that did my body kit put the pins in and they said they didnt want to because they were afraid they would mess up the hood. i will probably have to have them put on b4 next summer when i slap on the evo 3 BIG 16G :D

POST PICS!!

Originally posted by igs
What's the point of this thread? You don't even have pics. Yea I'm gonna start a new post to say I filled up the gas tank today. :rolleyes:

Exactly!....when someone says they got something new or did something....they better be prepared to post pics or just forget about posting entirely until they have them, or they will just get useles or bad comments....

Do not run with out hood pins at all!! Trust me..you dont wanna see hte upside of the hood agaisnt your windshield when driving..I did..Not funny!! GET THE HOOD PINS ON BEFORE YOU DRIVE!!! Better safe then sory.

actually i was not planning on running pins at all...so the hood latch will just rip right out of the hood? LOL thats pretty sad. Oh and heres a pic for those of you who just HAVE to have one...the main point of the thread was to bi*** about the quality of VIS not show off my bling bling..dammit! Oh the car is black...

AC

Attachments

• aug29#04.jpg
    aug29#04.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 446
LOL...pics of the hood ARE coming, but the car is in the shop right now so i cant put it on yet. Sorry people.

AC

Well I have a VIS and the quality isn't all that. It's only like 25% carbon fiber.

i love my VIS hood. the only thing i dont like is the fact that stupid people (girls) will ask me why my hood is a different color, or they will ask me why i have a black hood. dumbasses.

Use hood pins! VIS is notorious for separating from the under-skeleton....like stated, the underside and latch stay put but the carbon hood section flies up! BAM!!!! Yeh, they separate like that sometimes.
Leo

Originally posted by 1bad1g
actually i was not planning on running pins at all...so the hood latch will just rip right out of the hood? LOL thats pretty sad. Oh and heres a pic for those of you who just HAVE to have one...the main point of the thread was to bi*** about the quality of VIS not show off my bling bling..dammit! Oh the car is black...

AC

Thats one hellofva' turbo you got there! Damn thing is HUGE man!
Leo

wow, i have driven my car for a year with no problems without pins... since i have been doing a lot more racing i should probably get some. i have the crappy APC pins that they originally gave me. i never put them on because they looked like they would just rust away. what do you guys reccomend? should i just take it to a regular bodyshop to have them put them on? like i said before, the bodyshop that did my bodykit wouldnt do the hood pins because they were afraid to mess up the hood. thanks

I drove without hood pins on my VIS for about 6 months then i noticed a hairline crack on the latch so I had to put em on. and the frame started to seperate from the top part, its held on by a glue type stuff . Oh and be careful when installing the hood pins.I got a 3" crack in my clearcoat where the one hole for the screw is,it cracked when i drilled the hole and belive me I was careful. when you drill the clear coat chips off where your drilling but u wont see it cuz the hood pins cover it up. I have Sparco hood pins. They are nice.

Originally posted by wolfman099
wow, i have driven my car for a year with no problems without pins... since i have been doing a lot more racing i should probably get some. i have the crappy APC pins that they originally gave me. i never put them on because they looked like they would just rust away. what do you guys reccomend? should i just take it to a regular bodyshop to have them put them on? like i said before, the bodyshop that did my bodykit wouldnt do the hood pins because they were afraid to mess up the hood. thanks

Some are fortunate. It doesn't happen to a lot of hoods but it is always the same type of problem when it does happen...separation from the top part. Like Nautica said, they only use epoxy glue to spot glue it.
The hoods at www.stemarmotorsports.com are awesome! Fully bonded seams underneath. I HIGHLY doubt this will separate. Awesome finish top and bottom. Check his hoods out...the pic sucks on the web site but they are top notch all the way. I had FI and thought they were nice...these are better!
Leo
...oh, and I still use hood pins! I don't care who it is made by. I never want that happening going down the street again!!

never use a DRILL bit on gel coats. Maybe some get lucky and nothing cracks or breaks but it still is a no-no. Use a uni-bit or a toothed bit. Like what is used to drill into glass. Think about it...you would use a drill bit to go thru glass, gel coats are kinda like that, so are clear coats (which spider). A bit with burs on it like for going thru glass will do great and use tape (painter's "light tack") over the spot you are putting the hole.
Leo

i went ahead and ordered pins. i did a search and saw some pretty nasty pics of flipped up hoods. i dont wanna risk that kind of damage.

AC

Wise decision :) Now just decide if you want them mounted outward or in towards the center more. Personally I like them to the outside best.
Have a Dremel? That and a Tungsten (spelling?) bit works great! I use that for darn near every part I make for shaping cutouts and such. Makes nastey dust but is a lot safer than a drill bit.
Leo
Leo

Well here is the way to install the pins. Take the two rubber peices in front of the radiator out. Then put the pins in the holes. Then use white grease on top of the pins to locate the drilling spot. (put grease on the top of the pin and lower the hood) this will leave grease where you need to drill the hole. I used a 1" hole saw to drill through the under layer of the hood. Then repeat the process with the top layer of the hood. On the top layer use a diamond cutting bit to cut the desired hole. Then make sure the pins are at the proper height. I had to cut off the bottom of the pins so they wouldn't hit the a/c condencer. If the pins are slightly off just use your strenght to move them around to the right location. That's basically how i did it and it hasn't messed up. The main thing is:

Take Your Time!!!

well, I like them towards the outsides of the hood, so thats where they will go. Yeah im going to use a dremmel with a tungston bit to reduce the possibilty of any cracks on the gelcoat.

thanks,
AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back