The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Few questions engine bay pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegsx974me

Probationary Member
Feb 24, 2015
La mirada, California
Hello,

Like the title says I have some pictures attached of my engine bay. Can you tell me what are the two sensors in that picture. It looks like they might have been damaged in the second pic. Also what is that brown stains on the engine and looks like it went over one of the two sensors, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 96
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 101
Oh buddy. Chocolate milk? Not a good sign. If it's oil and water mixed you got a problem. Blown HG or cracked block. Prob blown HG.

It could just be a really rusted out radiator (doubtfully) but I thought I'd give you some hope.

Not sure if this is related the was driving fine went to the mall and gym when I got back I tried to start it but it wouldn't turn over. I waited tried it again and it started drove it home now it wont start at all. Do you think all of this is related?

Another two more. Ok so blown head gasket?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 91
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 86
that isnt oil and coolant no way it would be darker than that it more like someone had just water in there and over filled it and didnt care about whipping anything up but the sensor with the white plug is the engine coolant temp sensor and just so happens i know someone who has one that they are giving away in great condition (wink wink) LOL

If it were an oil and water, it would still be wet looking. Your shift linkage is hitting your radiator hose. Need to fix that also. You're asking for another problem or 2. Blown hose for 1, and that hose will cause gear or shifting issues.

Your cooling system looks to have been neglected for some time. It does not appear to be a blown HG as it is more of a rust color (looks like old dexcool or tap water). It also looks localized to the thermostat housing as the rest of the engine bay looks to be unaffected. It looks as though the radiator cap is the source of that mess. Oil and water would be much darker and have more of a speckled appearance. You need a SERIOUS cooling system flush. I would start with a professional flush, followed by changing the thermostat and radiator cap. Fill your system and bleed with a 50/50 premixed coolant and not tap water. Letting this go will likely cause a blown head gasket.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info. Also my car stopped running all of a sudden. It cranks but doesn't turn over can all this be related?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back