The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

F5M33 Tranny aint cuttin it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMount

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2010
Monroe, Wisconsin
So I did the 5 speed swap on my talon using the f5m33 (turbo Tranny) and for 30$ its exactly what I paid for.....as a DD it just aint cuttin it.

now finding turbo tranny's are pretty hard as far as the junkyards go, so what about the F5m22 that comes on 1.8L's and some 2.0L N\T they are everywhere and are EXTREMELY cheap. I got the 5 speed down to a minimum time of 2 hours so its not that much.

I was told I'd have to swap the flywheel out and frankly I can't seem to find a flywheel different then the 7 bolt flywheel I have (off a 93 Turbo FWD)

anyone know anything different about this?

I personally went thru this a few times, you will need a different flywheel clutch and spacer plate. everything else is the same. Good luck the n/a transmissions blow out in pieces it's pretty cool. Ever thought of getting a clutch with some slip to save your driveline. I believe one flywheel is smaller in size, run clutch part numbers to find out.

what won't cut it? Did you break it allready? Or does it shift like poo?

Well if I have to change out the clutch too then i guess I'll just have to suck it up and wait, got a brand new ACT organic in here and I don't wanna ditch it.

Shifts like poo.

Sometimes it shifts great, other times i have to practically punch it into gear. Clutch drags fabbed something up to extend the slave cylinder arm and it barely made a difference at all.. but I want a new trans to begin with, this one sucks so shitty.

Yeah, ALL DSM TRANNY SUCK! None of em shift good. Take it apart, get a double synchro second gear kit for it, new synchros for 3rd and 4th. Then grind every other tooth off the 3/4 slider and 3rd and 4th gears engaement teeth. It will shift then.

Yeah, ALL DSM TRANNY SUCK! None of em shift good. Take it apart, get a double synchro second gear kit for it, new synchros for 3rd and 4th. Then grind every other tooth off the 3/4 slider and 3rd and 4th gears engaement teeth. It will shift then.

I think I'd rather just spend 75$ and get one from the junkyard.

Otherwise DOGBOX!! :D

Stock Transmissions are great I have never had one go bad on me personally

but I mean I paid 30$ for a turbo Transmission, I knew it had issues, and I knew it prob won't hold up long because the guy I bought it from doesn't know how the hell to drive worth shit but it was only suppose to have 2nd gear grind issues. when he originally got the transmission it shifted into every gear so damn good, he just tares the shit out of his cars. I've known him for quite some time, he use to have a 1G GST that was really nice and quick, but day after day he just keep destorying it and by the end of its life the whole car was just a POS.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back