The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G F5M33 Tranny - Synchros are ok or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polverari

5+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2018
São Paulo, South_America
Hello!
(In all my publications I make it clear that I am Brazilian and eventually I have difficulty with some terms, especially part names and procedures. I'm sorry about that. But I'll try to be clear)

I first disassembly my 2g gearbox (F5M33).
Now that I've finished the disassembly, I need to analyze the state of the synchronized rings and the synchro sleeves.

When i was looking meticulously on the synchro sleeves, I noticed that one side is pointed (it points the finger if I force it) and it seems intact, but on the other side, that same part seems to be worn. So, i will replace this syncro sleeve.

Now, the problem: My shafts have not yet been disassembled. The synchronized rings are in their respective places. I would like to know if it is possible to identify if they are good or bad based on my photos and videos.

I'll attach everything I have here. I hope you can help me! Thank you! (THERE ARE TWO VIDEOS, I WILL POST AN EXTERNAL LINK HERE:

Video 1: https://mega.nz/#!9VAQEapb!_F7UWSI225RzkdSBcoqrbUXxuXFRSz_ZyAqCZxX3-2w

Video 2: https://mega.nz/#!cUZm3Q7K!baOs2upNEycNebmULLurC-VSOV3zAmSDrrAZ4PF2mxQ

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You would need to measure the gap between the gear and the synchro when the synchro is pressed towards each gear. If it is bottoming out, it is definitely worn out, there is a proper spec for this 0.020" or 0.5mm of gap is the wear limit.

Here are a couple images that are helpful, as well as a link to the factory service manual on my Google drive.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1g...-transfer-case-rebuild-service-manual.517367/

Your best option is to disassemble the gearset. Remove 5th needle bearing sleeve, then remove the input shaft snap ring, then press off the entire 3rd/4th gear cluster at the same time.

For the intermediate shaft, remove the intermediate shaft snap ring, and press off the entire 1st/2nd gear cluster at the same time.

The wear on your 3/4 slider isn't horrible, if the engagement teeth are worn down/chipped/rounded, that will warrant replacement. Also look at the witness marks on the hub where the slider splines engage for chatter or wear or galling, and smooth those out. You would replace the hub and slider as one unit with this transmission. Only the later model 2000+ transmissions offered the hub and slider as separate components.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181030-143022_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20181030-143022_Drive.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20181030-142938_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20181030-142938_Drive.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 116
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back