The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Emergency-Broke down late last night

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verbalcat

Proven Member
Dec 9, 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Driving up to Philadelphia from Tampa. As my wife and I cleared the tunnel, the car began to hesitate and sometimes make loud popping noises during acceleration. We parked it and got a rental. Can anyone help or recommend a shop for us to take it to on Monday? The car has new plugs..new wires and headers w/ straight pipe all the way back. Oil is fine..temp is fine and coolant is fine. New battery too. No other mods..my msd coil is sitting back at home because they didnt send the plug adapter with it.

Skipped timing maybe?

As for shops, where exactly did you park it?

where did you break down? Baltimores FT McKenry tunnel? Just saw this but I can tow it for you if need be.
Only experience I have with the 420A engine is I know the coils are junk and that's the one thing you said you left at home :(

The codes came back cam postion sensor and vehicle speed sensor. Cam sensor replaced. Light is still on for it. I think the VSS wouldnt make that back fire popping sound...I know the speedometer isn't working because of it. It's at a shop..they can't touch it til next week. I'm back in Tampa with a MSD coil and new pigtail in my mail box.

The shop is dickering around. Anyone can recommend a shop? I will be in Baltimore tomorrow.

JSi is in Kingsville, MD which is north of Baltimore. Tony works there an he is a dsmer from here. That shop works on anything. South of baltimore in Columbia is LMT auto repair. That's the shop I tow out of. They also work on everything.

If you need towing down to LMT call ALs Towing at 410 740 8822 and tell them you are a friend of Travis. If you want to go to JSi, they have a tow truck too. LMTs # is 4107303839

Travis

Last edited:
Thanks for the much needed help Travis....I'm in the rental as we speak ..a lil outside the georgia state line....I spoke with the mechanic today...he says I have some burnt wires....and he wants to replace them..and then drive it again...I won't b there until really late tonight...I think I might b able to get it over to your shop...the car is in pasadena at chesapeake car car ...they have had it since wed of last week...

Tony

Is this still ongoing? If the shop you're at hasn't figured this out and you want someone else to work on it (and probably fix it) who has strong DSM experience take it over to Lascuola Motorworks. http://www.lmsspeed.com/ He's awesome, personally had a fairly modded 95 2g, and is VERY fair on pricing and really knows what he's doing. He's saved me before and if he was closer he would be working on my car more often.

As stated the speed sensor isn't going to have an effect on the engine operation, but the cam angle sensor most definitely is. I had mine fail out of the blue so they definitely can just go on you. The code for the sensor will not self-clear so you'll need to either clear it with a laptop w/cable or a tool, or just pull the negative cable from the battery for about thirty seconds.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back