The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

DSM Tool Box??? This might be fun....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatblackprelud

Probationary Member
Jul 15, 2007
randleman, North_Carolina
Ok I searched this and didnt really find anything....and I thought it may be fun. When building a DSM, or driving a DSM you know you'll deffinatley need some tools on the go.

So lets start off. You drive your 300+ whp DSM daily...your sure to encounter problems, you know the occasinal blown out ic pipe, or blown coupler, bad clamp...etc.

WHAT DO YOU KEEP IN YOUR TOOLBOX??????

mine is in the process of being started so your ideas will more than likely add to my toolbox.

Flatblackprelud's tool box includes

-extra couplers...reduceing and straigt

-extra clamps

-flathead scredriver

-8mm wrench

-10mm wrench

-flashlight

Add some pliers and wrenches, it does not have to be all your tools but with those simple ones you can do any minor repair. And also a role of duck tape, that stuff is very useful for quick fixes.

8-14mm socket. 3/8'' wrench
pliers
KRAZY GLUE!!! does wonders.
extra bolts two of each size 8-14mm
duck tape
coolant
oil

i usually carry my whole tool bag when i go out but some "different" items that i carry are...
- extra wire (glad i had it when my wires broke off my inj. clips while on a road trip)
- extra fuses (including and extra 80a link)
- electrical tape
- zip ties (a dsm must)
- a meter.

8-14mm socket. 3/8'' wrench
pliers
KRAZY GLUE!!! does wonders.
extra bolts two of each size 8-14mm
duck tape
coolant
oil

+
zip ties
extension for spark plugs
spark plug socket
electrical tape
flashlight

Craftsman actually sells a really nice kit for under $25, i believe... I'll see if I can find it online and post back... It's a good starting point in my opinion...

Umm DSM toolbox?
Adjustable wrench
Klein 10-1 screwdriver
Flashlight
Caution flashy cones
Cell w/ flatbed tow truck drivers personal cell on speed dial
880w power inverter w/ cell charger /laptop cables

The last 4 times my DSM broke down it required a flatbed ride home or to a shop... Blown front pass side axle, shattered center diff, Blown Lower Balljoint, shattered middle two rods/pistons and windowed the block.

I have never had a coupler pop off, I use 4 ply silicone couplers w/ SS t-bolt clamps...

Oh yea, I have one tool that I bring with me all the time, my AAA card, works every time. :D

Misc. zip ties
10 mm, 12mm , 14mm, and I think I have a 16mm socket w/ obligatory 3/8'' ratchet
Duct tape
Electric tape
A pair of dikes (minds out of the gutters, people)
Spare fuses
Cell phone w/free towing service, and despite the weight, I leave the stock jack and spare in there.

Also have the med-kit we had in Germany (that thing is STOCKED), a flashlight, and bottled water (I ride around with my son on 100+ degree days)

Edit: After reading more, I forgot about the gloves, rags, pocket knife, jumper cables and various extra fluids...I bet I could lose 100 lbs. + taking all this crap out LoL

Tool Box
Screwdrivers
Wrenches
Sockets/Ratchet
Screws/bolts/clips/fuses
Electrical Tape
Flashlight
Utility Knife
Rags for cleaning up the mess
Gloves
Gojo hand cleaner ( never use it though)
Coolant
Zipties
Cigarette lighter Air Compressor

And last but not least my AAA card if all else fails....LOL

Second the AAA card. Worth the $80.00. But I usually drive with my full toolbox, mechanical one anyways my electrical toolbox stays at home. Each one only cost like $10.00 from Walmart.

ehh, my insurance covers towing so I don't need the AAA card.

coolant
oil
plugs
voltmeter
sockets
wrenches
duct tape
extra filter
extra oil sending unit
extra tps
extra iac
couplers
t bolt clamps
extra nuts and bolts
bong

:thumb:

Cel phone, so my wife can tell me what a piece af crap I drive the whole time I'm waiting for the tow truck.

You should get that green tire sealant stuff, works awesome. The stuff in the yellow aerosal can is not so good so def get the green stuff in the squeeze bottle. Then a bicycle pump or a small emergency compressor you can get at the local parts store so that you can pump up your flat tire afterwards.

Bill

When We went to pick up Brians TSI 67 miles away, I took:
Full set of wrenches,
Full set of sockets
Jack stands
Floor jack
And a but load of spare parts. Ran like a champ all the way home though. :D

My daily tool box:
Same as above, minus floor jack and stands
All sizes replacement fuses
Wire cutters
Elec, tape
assorted screw drivers

Basically put, if you have a 10, 12, 14, 16 and 17, plus screwdivers, wrenches the same size, you and do emergency surgery on the side of the road. :D

Tool box for the NASA event in Nebraska
All of the above
Spare engine :p
Mike

You should get that green tire sealant stuff, works awesome. The stuff in the yellow aerosal can is not so good so def get the green stuff in the squeeze bottle. Then a bicycle pump or a small emergency compressor you can get at the local parts store so that you can pump up your flat tire afterwards.

Bill

SLIME! That shit works GREAT. :thumb:

Sockets
wrenches
extensions
boost leak tester
spare bolts
rtv
jb weld
clamps
spark plugs
wires
vice grips
pliers
screw drivers
o2 sensor socket
electrical tape
stock jack and tools
spare
And pretty much any other "car" tool that I own.

As a side note, my actual tool box is a plastic fishing tackle box. :D Gotta save weight where you can. :)

Wow, you guys carry a lot of crap around with you! I don't keep a single tool in my car. My car is not a DD, but it often sees 140+ mile round trips to the track or autocross events. I feel it is all about preventive maintenance. Every Friday I do a complete inspection on the car. Boost leak check, check all fluid levels, check front end for any loose parts and inspecting bolts for proper torque. Plus if anything does happen the underhood temps are so hot that I won't stick my arm in there for a couple hours after it cools down. My car has taken a trip on the flatbed once this year do to an alternator that went out. Nothing that having any tools with me would have helped any.

The one time my power steering line broke, I didn't have tools with me to do anything. I had to keep driving with gorilla steering.

Extra coolant/oil
Entire (145 piece) Socket set
Assorted screwdrivers
Extra vac hose
Allen wrenches
electrical tape
Probably some spare hose clamps

The only times my car left me where when the front ball joint broke (stupid recall)
and when my radiator cracked. Aside from that (knock on wood) it's been reliable, but I still like to be prepared.

Wrench's from 7mm through 18mm
screw driver (cross tip)
screw driver (flat tip)
Vise grips
needle nose vise grips
clamps
Vac lines
nipple caps
jumper cables
quart of oil

I only cary all that stuff if I am going on a long trip other wise I dont really carry any of it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back