The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Driveline Clatter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No_Skillz

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 8, 2004
Freehold/Morris, New_Jersey
My car had developed a clatter from the transmission side. I dropped the transmission and opened it up to find that I had a tooth chipped off of 2nd gear and my main pinion geart teeth were chipped in several areas. I got a rebuild from Dogbox Racing, a shop with a great reputation. TOB is new. However, after reinstall, the clatter is still present.

Clatter is:
Speed related, but is faster than the rpm of the wheel.
Present in all conditions when car is slowing down, regardless of being in gear/neutral or clutch engagement.
Sounds akin to a card in bicycle spokes between 5-25mph.
Turns to a medium pitched, quiet pulsing at speeds >30mph.
Inaudible when accelerating or maintaining speed.

At this point I am suspecting CV joint because it's the only thing left, but I have serious doubts in my diagnosing abilities right now because I got a trans rebuild for no reason.

I'm with you on this one. Check the CV joint for play between the cups and the shaft with a twisting motion. You can pull half of the boot back to make this easier, without regreasing everything. You may have to pick up an axle boot clamp if you can't reuse yours.

Besides that I would check the wheel bearing, and other suspension components in the front end.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back