The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Died while cruising

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm_chuy

Proven Member
Jun 9, 2023
Arlington, Texas
Hey guys, my car died while crusing but i still had power. Engine just shut off. I don’t have any codes. What could it be?

Do you have a log of its last moments?

You've said nothing about what you've troubleshooted on your own.

Have you checked mechanical timing?

If it's good, does it turn over? Does it attempt to start but can't stay running? Do you have enough volts from the battery to start?

There's a hundred things it could be. Let's start with what you've checked so far

If it's good, does it turn over? Does it attempt to start but can't stay running? Do you have enough volts from the battery to start?

There's a hundred things it could be. Let's start with what you've checked so far
Well to start off. I usually check for codes. And its had the same ones for months. [02 sensor and 4 gear ratio]

I haven’t check the timing and yes it turns on and is able to drive but then turns off again a couple feet

With no MAP code thrown? It's possible, depending on the nature of the malfunction or condition of wiring, I suppose.
I just read another form about 420a Map sensors and its location . Ill check it out today “heck im so bored i might just replace it

crank sensor and crank sensor connector are typical problems on the 420a that can cause the car to randomly shut off
Drove my eclipse to the car wash and it randomly turned off again. And struggled to turn back on but after that it never turned off again.

there's basically 2 variables if there isn't a check engine light

cars run off of air + fuel + spark

seeing as the car runs fine normally, we can assume the engine has good compression and is getting good air to make the fuel and air explode

fuel could be the first issue. the fuel pump could be going bad, though typically a bad fuel pump does not come back from being bad. usually you have problems driving and making power as a fuel pump goes bad. this doesnt seem to match your symptoms

the spark could be the most likely issue. if the crank sensor is losing connection it would cut the car off and kill the spark going to the motor because it cant detect the timing of the motor to send the spark. typically on the 420a the valve cover gasket will leak oil onto and into the crank sensor and cause the sensor or the connector to go bad.

I hate to blindly reccomend just throwing a part at a problem, however your symptoms lean me towards replacing the crank sensor.

there's basically 2 variables if there isn't a check engine light

cars run off of air + fuel + spark

seeing as the car runs fine normally, we can assume the engine has good compression and is getting good air to make the fuel and air explode

fuel could be the first issue. the fuel pump could be going bad, though typically a bad fuel pump does not come back from being bad. usually you have problems driving and making power as a fuel pump goes bad. this doesnt seem to match your symptoms

the spark could be the most likely issue. if the crank sensor is losing connection it would cut the car off and kill the spark going to the motor because it cant detect the timing of the motor to send the spark. typically on the 420a the valve cover gasket will leak oil onto and into the crank sensor and cause the sensor or the connector to go bad.

I hate to blindly reccomend just throwing a part at a problem, however your symptoms lean me towards replacing the crank sensor.
Yes your correct.
I located my crank sensor it was covered in oil.
I cleaned it up and installed it back in.
I haven’t driven it do to family emergency.
Should i have cleaned the connectors aswell?
Ill update you guys later today

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back