The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Choosing a Clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FASTSPOOLINGST

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2003
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I am currently running a 14b turbo w/ a ported evo iii mani and O2 housing. All free mods and all Stage 1 mods w/ exception of the clutch. I've been doing some research and everywhere is saying that the ACT 2100 clutch is for like 14 second cars and slower and to get the ACT 2600 if you are 12 sec or faster. I was then looking at RRE's website and they say that the CenterForceDualFriction is rated at 2500 and is kind of an in-between clutch. I am still in my uprgade process and will be completed with Stage 2 also in about 3 months. My stock clutch has already started slipping when i try to launch at a stop light. (embarasing as hell when racing someone). I don't race that much, only on street usually when i pull up to something worth racing and is willing. I will hardly ever be going to the track to race. I just street race with my buddies and that is only like once a month. From what i understand the ACT 2600 is stiff and is hard on the left leg and could possible give my engine Crankwalk. The ACT 2100 is not enough and would be slipping in no time too, but would save my ass from getting crankwalk. And the CFDF clutch has a slight pedal increase is a great overall clutch that can stand some launching and abuse. And is not too bad on the crankwalk, about the same as the ACT 2100.

What clutches do you guys run, any opinions? Money is an object! I am not rich, but i will save more if necessary to get the right part. Also, i am planning on putting an aluminum flywheel in since i will already have it torn apart.

All of your info, opinions and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Later:dsm:

If you don't do much racing(launching) the centerforce would be your best bet, I just put one in my gsx about 10000 miles ago and the pedal pressure is less than stock.It's an excellent clutch but can't handle alot of abuse(drag launching) and is pretty sensitive to break-in.Around the 'net you read alot of differing opinions, the negative ones almost always have drag launches involved or improper break-in procedures.

most people would say act 2600. but i heard it makes the clutch alot more stiffer to push down.

I am in the same "boat" as you are. Here's what I recommend:
ACT 2100
ACT Xact chrome-moly flywheel
New throwout bearing
New SS clutch hose line
And a prayer that when they get everything apart they don't check endplay and find that its out of specs. :D
Thats what happened to me. :p
The ACT2100 is good for low 13s/high 12s. FWD is not going to abuse the clutch as much as an AWD would. The 2600 could put you deep in the 11s on an AWD setup, so the 2100 should suit you fine. :thumb:

This is gonna sound REALLY wierd, but I got a ACT2600 pressure plate with a stock disc, I bought a set used and the cluctch was damaged in shipping, when I pulled the engines out of my talons, of the clutches was BRAND NEW!!!! so I used that disc and the ACT2600 PP

i have a centerforce on my car it came with my car. so i dont no if it was broken in properly. it was suposeldy 1k miles old when i bout the car. here i am 3k miles later and the clutch is done. i know a few people who also have the center force and are having problems with it slipping also. just my opinion i would never get one again. im goin with a act2600.

I would recomend the ACT flywheel and 2100 kit. if your not drag racing a fwd with slicks or making sick power you should be fine. FWD's are far less straining to the clutch than awd. ACT's seems to hold up better than the CFDF and have less issues in the long run.

Originally posted by DSMotorsport
I would recomend the ACT flywheel and 2100 kit. if your not drag racing a fwd with slicks or making sick power you should be fine. FWD's are far less straining to the clutch than awd. ACT's seems to hold up better than the CFDF and have less issues in the long run.

Couldent of said it any better myself, I know from experience too :thumb:

I personaly have never heard of a single problem out of an ACT clutch. I have used centerforce on 400hp mustangs and killed them quick and now on the AWD car. it lasted 6k in my awd car. I didn't thrash it hard either. When I replaced it, I kept the CF pressure plate and went with a clutchnet 6 puck sprung hub disc and I love that combo, slightly grabby on the bottom but still light pedal pressure and NO slip at all.

I want to do my clutch this winter and kinda had my heart set on the centerforce. Now I’m not so sure.

I’m kinda hip on the aluminum flywheel as well. Anyone these this with the 2100?

Get an ACT2600.

Anything less is for sissies. Besides, stiff clutches make you shift better.

Those of you that had bad CFDF's, what failed? Did the disk wear out, physically break,pressure plate wear out? I have CF's in all three of my DSM's, no problems yet.None of them are very powerful and I haven't put a lot of mileage on them yet though.I guess I'm just a sissy, but I'm happy with CF

Originally posted by LightningGSX
Those of you that had bad CFDF's, what failed? Did the disk wear out, physically break,pressure plate wear out? I have CF's in all three of my DSM's, no problems yet.None of them are very powerful and I haven't put a lot of mileage on them yet though.I guess I'm just a sissy, but I'm happy with CF

:p

Depends on the car I guess. Satori, get the ACT flywheel w/ the 2100 clutch. Good price and a really well proven clutch. Planning on big power and drag racing? Get the 2600. Its the happy meal of clutch packages. So simple. :thumb:

Most FWD guys making under 350hp ( crank, not wheel hp ) get the 2100.
All AWD guys ( having owned a 1G AWD ) should get the 2600.

:talon:

I HAVE A FWD, BUT IN ABOUT 4 MONTHS I WILL HAVE ALL OF STAGE 2 COMPLETE AND AN ESTIMATED 400 HP, SO I GUESS I SHOULD GO AHEAD AND GO WITH THE 2600 RIGHT? ANYBODY USE EXEDY CLUTCHES, I SEE THEY ARE A GOOD PRICE, ARE THEY GARBAGE OR WHAT?

If you are in doubt, go with the ACT2600.I believe RRE has less than good things to say about exedy.

Originally posted by LightningGSX

All I wore out was the disc both times, the pp was nice, when I went with the 6 puck, I kept the cf pp cause the pedal pressure is light but it grips like hell.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back