The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Carrier Bearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n00btalon

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 13, 2005
lebanon, Pennsylvania
Alright I have some vibrations and noises coming when I let off the gas specifically near mid rpms! it sounds mainly to be coming from the rear? The guy that does most of my work and is pretty up with his knowledge, says the carrier bearing(s) are shot, now some of the vibration is my exhaust flange hitting my driveshaft! what would be some symptoms of a bad carrier bearing so i can debunk this and figure out whats going on, its loud and obnoxious!

You could get down and inspect it, there would be alot of play/slop in the driveshaft if the carrier bearing was going out. They're not too expensive if you needed a new one. $95 i think

You can remove your driveshaft and inject polyurethane in a tube or silicone in them to take the slop out and stiffen them up. There is a wright up on this website under drivetrain its called the driveshaft thump fix with pictures. Visual Frequently Answered Questions - Home Page
Also why is your exhaust hitting your driveshaft?

You can remove your driveshaft and inject polyurethane #### or silicone in them to take the slop out and stiffen them up. There is a wright up on this website under drivetrain its called the driveshaft thump fix with pictures. Visual Frequently Answered Questions - Home Page
Also why is your exhaust hitting your driveshaft?

3'' downpipe with 3'' cat... flange hits, i see its a common problem when i search'd it... i think if i shave a little off the flange it should be good, it mainly happens because of the extra flex in the driveshaft! again only happens on deacceleration! the exhaust has hardly any play at all in it! so it could be moving but i doubt it :D i can take pictures :)

do you still have your heat shield over the exhaust my flange was hitting and i took that off and it fixed the problem. I have 3 inch meagan racing dp, test pipe, and catback.

do you still have your heat shield over the exhaust my flange was hitting and i took that off and it fixed the problem. I have 3 inch meagan racing dp, test pipe, and catback.

im not sure? but i do know its hitting the driveshaft i've looked and can see the marks on the shaft and can feel where the flange is pretty damn close... so any extra play in the shaft will make it hit, i also know the flex section is close to touching something too, but never does because there are no marks on it, tahts one reason why i think there is not much play going on with the exhaust.

downpipe? ebay knock off. so far no issues... its a custom setup with the 3'' magnaflow cat tho, and the flange on the cat is the issue not the one on the downpipe... i will get u some pictures tomorrow :) :hellyeah:

ok you should definatly silicone your carrier bearings they fixes the thump and stiffens it up alot so if it is swaying it wont hit your exhaust.

On my car the test pipe when i tightened it down would hit on the exhaust heat shield under the car and push it outward and it would rub on my driveshaft sometimes so i just removed the exhaust heat shield under the car and it fixed it perfectly and it saves weight. You could always try that too if it is not removed.

here's some pics these are cell phone pics so sry for the fuzzyness

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

well for your carrier bearings silicone them for sure that will help with exahust rubbing. The heat shield is still on there and i dont see it hitting any were on your exhaust from the pics but you can remove it if you want it dont really serve a purpose. Another thing you can do is get poly exhaust hangers.

Don't silicone or Window-Weld your carrier bearings. Unless you really know what you are doing, it is very hard to get that stuff to cure with the shaft perfectly centered and perpendicular to the bearing...you'll end up with more vibration than you have now. Ask me how I know...

Replace them and do it right. You can get a complete stock replacement 2-piece driveshaft from the transfer case to the rear end, (including the carrier bearings) and new joints for a little over $500.

If you drop the driveshaft for whichever reason, pay attention to the number of factory shims on the carrier bearing brackets, and replace them the same way. Leaving them out or changing them around can cause alignment problems and more vibration when it goes back together. Also check the studs that the bearings bolt up to and make sure they aren't broken or working loose from the body where they are welded.

we're going to try siliconing these bearings this week... if the vibration is whatever then we will just replace them... woohoo :hellyeah: yea we'll be grinding that flange down and stuff as well

I also recommend not siliconing the carrier bearings. I did this once long ago and it did not help vibration. Also within a few thousand miles all of a sudden one day my rear diff started squealing and the ring and pinion exploded. I would imagine it was caused from excess vibration and the driveshafts then inability to be able to move within the carrier bearing. I got a new 4 bolt rear and had my driveshaft rebuilt and rebalanced and have not had problems in the last 20,000+ miles. Starting to feel a little vibration now. I will probably buy the rebuild parts and rebuild the driveshaft or send it in to a shop for a rebuild. With DSMs just do it right the first time and don't cheap out on repairs.

I also recommend not siliconing the carrier bearings. I did this once long ago and it did not help vibration. Also within a few thousand miles all of a sudden one day my rear diff started squealing and the ring and pinion exploded. I would imagine it was caused from excess vibration and the driveshafts then inability to be able to move within the carrier bearing. I got a new 4 bolt rear and had my driveshaft rebuilt and rebalanced and have not had problems in the last 20,000+ miles. Starting to feel a little vibration now. I will probably buy the rebuild parts and rebuild the driveshaft or send it in to a shop for a rebuild. With DSMs just do it right the first time and don't cheap out on repairs.
My carrier bearings are shot as well, they rattle like crazy when I let off the gas and I'm coasting. Are you doing a driveshaft rebuild? If you are, PM me if you want to get together and do two at once.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back