The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Can a bad coolant temp sensor prevent my 420a from starting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamBaughman

Probationary Member
May 16, 2013
Denver, Colorado
So i just bought my first car a few months ago and absolutely love it. 1998 mitsubishi eclipse gs. Bone stock runs great. But recently ive had some trouble. One day i was driving and i noticed my rpms would sit at 2000 in neutral while rolling. After coming to a complete stop they drop to 1100. Usually it idles at 900 rpms. So after shutting the car off and trying to restart it all i get is turning over and no firing. I checked the purge valve on my fuel rail and also listened for the prime of the fuel pump. Both indicating that my fuel pump is fine. I also checked for spark which i also have. I couldnt figure oit what the problem was so i left. It was roughly 70 to 80 degrees that day.. Next day i went back to see if it would start in the cool morning. It did but at first start it idoled extremely rough bouncing between 900 to 1300 rpms and a heavy smell of gas was there, i figured i flooded it the day befor by trying to start it over and over.. After melowing out back to1100 i drove it home and it was still pulling the same bs of holding rpms in neutral. I shut it off and immediately tried to restart it. Nothing. No firing at all just turning over. After pondering and constant reserch the only thing i found was that my cts was bad. Keep in mind my obd doesnt work. Can a coolant temp sensor cause a car not to start in heat? There is no black smoke or overheating issues. Any thoughts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back