The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Built my own RPM switch for Cyclone intake...now I have a simple question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
Ok, this is for those who know about Cyclone Intakes. With no vacuum to the butterfly valve actuator, are the flaps open or closed? I just did a test run with my RPM switch hooked up to the FPR solenoid and it seemed a little faster on the top end, but it leaned out around 6500 RPM. I have to download my log of that run to see the changes. The RPM switch is set to apply power to the FPR solenoid at 3500 RPM.

ok, this is the best I could get it. Hopefully you can read it ok. If you have questions, let me know.

All the parts can be found at your local Radio Shack.

Attachments

• rpm-switch.jpg
    rpm-switch.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 493
Yes without vacuum the valves are open, although the factory setting for the valves to open is 4100 rpms, i have ran into problems with it set this high; I moved mine down to 3500 and have had no problems since. As far as using an rpm switch it is a good way to do it but i would recomend one that is adjustable like the summit or msd. If you have the electrical knowledge to build your own kudoes to you. I have been considering rasing it up to about 3900rpms because you do not get the benifit of keeping them closed to get the most out of the tq band also crusing speed in a 2g awd at 80mph is 3500 rpms.

the circuit above is adjustable but it is very touchy. 1/4 turn on the dial and it can be 3k higher. I will work with it some more to see if I can get something a little more reliable. The RPM signal oscillates and it is harder to make it switch and hold so that is why I added the capacitor to the switching transistor.

yeah, i was going to work on that but my dumb self soldered it to a board and now I have to scrounge up more parts to keep testing it. One other problem I am having an issue with is that when the relay clicks at 9vdc, it will hold till around 6vdc. That causes the switch to hold 1500 RPM lower than what it is set at :( With a little time and effort, I can work something out. Hopefully I don't have to program more chips to do this. It has to be simple circuity.

I'm also in the process of building a cyclone controller.
I was looking into buying a RPM window switch, but they are expensive and need pills to change the RPM setting.
So I picked up a cheap Tach/Shift Light for $30 that can be adjusted by a knob.
I'm going to splice a transistor or relay on to the shift lamp to activate the FPR solenoid.
So there's another cheap cyclone controller, and it looks cool too.
Pic of Tach/Shift Light -->
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a question about the vacuum canister. Mine didn't come with one.
Has anybody found a good alternative to use?
None of the vacuum canisters I can find come with a one-way valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking into buying a RPM window switch, but they are expensive and need pills to change the RPM setting.
I'm going to splice a transistor or relay on to the shift lamp to activate the FPR solenoid.

thats pretty innovative, good thinking

will this circuit work with our engines?

wanted to try it to install an intercooler spray switch and an A/C compressor kill switch which turns the compressor off when a specified rpm is reached <similar to the Honda's>.

TIA

Attachments

• rpm_switch_circuit_v3.jpg
    rpm_switch_circuit_v3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 289

I really have no idea but will a vacuum canister that the V8 guys use work?? If so, I have a crane cams one sitting around that Ill let go for cheap. :cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back