The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Best tuning options

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red talon

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
billings, Montana
So after learning I should not go off and start adding "bolt-ons". That I should get a tuning system like dsmlink. I'm wondering what would the best be to install and is easiest to work with. Because I em very new to the tuning world. Any help please.
Thank you :hmm:

get a socketed eprom and dsm/ecmlink from what ive read it is the "noob" friendliest and there is always people to help you out, not to mention the ecmtuning forum you get access to.

for the sake of ease it depends on what bolt ons you are talking about. If you are just doing a basic turbo and injector upgrade like a 16g and 550cc or 560cc injectors then an safc will suffice. But if you want full tuning capability then yes dsmlink is the best way, but be prepared to spend at least $400.

Dsmlink is the safest investment. Considering if you are like most of us, you'll eventually want more power, and more power means you will need a real tune. And it wont hurt your car either way

Ok but with dsmlink can I hook it up to my laptop and tune it? And what would I need?

Ok but with dsmlink can I hook it up to my laptop and tune it? And what would I need?

Yes. You need an EPROM ECU or ECMTunng can convert a Non-EPROM ECU into an EPROM ECU for $95 when you purchase v3. Spend several hours (at least) reading up on ECMlink (aka dsmlink) here: ecmlink101 [ECMTuning - wiki]

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that it was only $40 if you purchased ECMlink as well it was my understanding that is was the Regular $135 regardless please correct me if I'm wrong on this...
Disregard THIS^ an read post 12 below...

OP V3 ECMlink is a great investment (IMHO a bit much though for a stock car for the average end user) but if your not familiar with tuning a car it can be easy to get overwhelmed an Everyone always say that this or that is easy to do. When in reality a large portion of these people have never even tuned a car correctly.

There's quite a few options out there depending depending on your knowledge and budget... . ECMLink may or may not be the best one.

So many people think that everyone can take a laptop an just run out tune their car without any knowledge about tuning just because it's link... .Yet most people(average car owner) haven't the slightest idea how to tune a car(Regardless how easy it can be) and have never came close to doing anything like it before... And will either end up paying more to have it tuned or will screw something up trying them self.

OP
here's a few with links I'll try to explain what you can and can't do with each and what's required for each, it if your interested...

Full V3 ECMlink $495*

"LITE" V3 ECMlink $375*

Full vs lite product differences

Dsmchips $100-$140
* Probably best Idea for the less knowledgeable about tuning (He's closed shop But there are other members on here that still burn chips Myself included)

Jackel Speed density $~Free*

You need Also a Chip burner to burn chips and/or a Ostrich to do real time tuning... So it's really not free

*Requires socketing your Ecu
The link above (from agentorange has more details about this in it)

Also with the chip burner if you have the knowledge you can make your own chips and/or use the Ostrich to make changes on the fly... .(definitely not for the average person)

You can select in the step 7. Socket/conversion when ordering link or if your savy with electronics you can do it yourself there's a few members on here that do it as well...

Theirs also a few other piggy backs that would work well if you just get a chip burner or a chip burnt for you and if you don't want/or have a ostrich...to make small adjustments as you go...

Here is a few That will work for tunning and what kind airflow sensor (or lack of) that they work with

Apexi SAFC II
Stock Maf

MAF-T
GM Maf ~ This one I don't highly recommend depending on how it's used and because it's rather large jumps in adjustment points

MAF Gen II

Nearly Any Maf

MAF-Pro(kind of dated for the price new now with Link having SD now)
Speed density or Nearly ANY Maf

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that it was only $40 if you purchased ECMlink as well it was my understanding that is was the Regular $135 regardless please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

I was actually a little off, it's $95 for a 1g non-EPROM conversion with v3 purchase, but that's still less then the $135 for just the conversion. Here is the "V3 Package (New)" page: ECMTuning, Inc.. Option 7 is Socket/Conversion and if you click it you will see that the 1g is $95 while the 2g is $145. That makes it $40 off the standard price when you order v3.

To add to what you were saying, there is a learning curve associated with ANY tuning device. I bought v3 with zero tuning experience, having never tuned anything before. One of the best things about ECMlink is the support available from this site and especially the ECMTuning Forums. Within a month or two of receiving help both from members on this site (big shout out to Gofer) and Tom and Dave over on ECMtuning, I was tuning all by myself. I still have a lot to learn, but I would consider myself proficient with it. So yes, there is a learning curve, but at the same time, that will be present even with a piggyback.

Whether you go link or jackal you should definitely go speed density. The car will feel so much more responsive. Throttle response increased 100%, pulls noticeably harder up top even on wg pressure. I know a certain member logged a 1.5lbs/min gain from ditching the maf and going sd. Plus no pre-turbo restriction really lets you hear it spool up.

I personally run Jackal/ostrich combo and love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know there is some sort of discount for purchasing the conversion with Ecmlink...

Whether you go link or jackal you should definitely go speed density.

While I agree 100% about going SD... It can have an even steeper learning curve as building a proper VE map can be a fair amount of work...

Ha, I would have just linked to that I totally forgot about XiKeiyaZI posting that...

Nice initial write-up. Maybe we can get some others to add on to that write-up with more info on the ease of use for each, what's needed for installation, the difficulty of installation and which type of buyer may choose each.

I, like many DSMers back in the day, started out with an S-AFCII. It definitely did the basics but I was always fighting the ECU since I was essentially lying to it to get it to do what I wanted it to do. I then had got an EPROM ECU and had a chip burned... it worked fairly well. I also tried the MAFT for a short time but wanted to simplify it all (in general and under the hood). Once I switched over to DSMlink (now called ECMlink) and went to a 2g MAF I saw how the car was supposed to run. It's more expensive than the S-AFCII route, but it's still half the cost a full stand alone ECU, and much more user friendly/easier to get tuned quickly. I still feel it's the best option out there for most DSMers. And it's probably the most widely used solution in our community. I can't see a good reason to switch to anything else for my cars.

The stand alone option is for racers who plan to compete and have a lot of extra money to throw at tuning. Unless you know how to tune it yourself you're going to spend a LOT of money having someone else tune it for you. And the benefits simply aren't there unless you are planning to compete (in my opinion).

Honestly I am just running basic upgrades like a 16g but I still went ahead and got DSMLINK the fact that your actually changing the variables instead of lying to the ECU just seems more right. Along with that the options and controllability with it is amazing and well worth it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back