The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Anybody using safc? I need opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfaulk21

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2011
Mt. Holly, North_Carolina
I'm aiming for 300-350hp. Here's what I'm thinking that may get me there.
16g
660cc inj.
Big greddy fmic
Cold air intake

I'm a begginer in tuning and don't want to jump into link. I've done a lot of research on afc and I think its for me but want to be sure with those mods I can reach my goals

What fuel pump are you running? With a Wally 255 your setup should be enough for 300-350, seen people get 280 with an SAFC, 16G, 550s, wally 190 and a shit tune before.

Make sure you upgrade your fuel pump, if you don't want to upgrade you AFPR go with the Walbro 190lph, you can go with the 255LPH but you will run pig rich at idle (I have the stock FPR and I'm seeing 10.5-11.5 at idle.)

Dang burning that gas up my dude. And yeah I planned on running 190 just because of that reason I meant to put that but forgot. So you think its posible for my HP goals

With 660 injectors you could have some excessive timing under a load. When you hide airflow from the ecu the ecu will think there is less load and add timing. I'd look for a flashable ecu and go that route, or an eprom with an older version od dsmlink.

Like said above, 660's is typically around the limits of an SAFC for the reasons mentioned. It will actually be easier to tune properly with Link & even though there are alot more options/settings vs a SAFC, it is still very user friendly even for a first time tuner. Plus the private support forum is top notch, something you won't get with a SAFC.

PS Don't bump your own thread, its in the forum rules, that I'm sure you carefully read ;)

Of course I read the rules :p so I should just jump into link. It would be a lot better for future uprgrades over 300hp I guess. And like you said you can't adjust timing with afc. I may go with that

Had a neo, bought it brand new from extremepsi. So far my worst dsm purchase, should have done my research and not listened to a friend. Never even took it out of the box. Sold it at for a $100 loss a couple of months after I bought link, and considered myself lucky to get off that easy. Nobody wants them so you'll lose your pants on the resell if you buy new and want to upgrade later. If you do get one, you should be able to find one used for less than $150...barely used. Don't be a me, get link.

If you get a deal on an AFC, go for it. Log with a palm or the likes. You can retard your base timing a bit or add some extra fuel when you start coming up with knock.
But by all means, if you dont mind waiting a couple more paychecks, get Link. Youll have a better powered car throughout the entire RPM range.
I wouldnt buy a new AFC though, Id hold off to spend money wisely.

My 95 with a 6 bolt swap (2g pistons), small cams, big 16g, 680's ETS FMIC, full 3" exhaust, SAFC... made 300 at the wheels. So, 350whp with an SAFC is going to be a stretch, but 300 is doable.

My mod list is not current. But it's close. I just switched to link from afc. If you can wait do so it's so much better. If not then afc is duable.
It idk if you'll quite get those numbers.
Pick up a 2g Mas it will help a bit with the afc fooling the ecu as it reads a higher airflow signal therefor reducing timing and fuel. My afc tune was good.
About 20psi with rich afr and a little knock. But was at my injectors Limits.
. Now with link my car pulls like a whole new animal at the same psi.

According to link(don't know how accurate it is) but my car in 4th gear from 4500-6300 it peaked at 406hp/402trq and fell off to about 350/337 by 6300 where I let out. Idk how accurate it is but I think it's close. If so I don't see why you couldn't pull At least 320 with the bigger injectors on the afc.

not trying to bash but i had the safcII and that thing was the biggest piece of garbage. i sucked it up and went with link and have had absolutely no problems. plus with link there is such a big support network compared to the safc in the dsm world. my opinion is just save up the extra cash and go with link you will not regret it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back