The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredRider

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2019
Clewiston, Florida
First, I'd like to say that I have really learned a lot about cars through this amazing community of DSMers! My first car was an Eagle Talon Tsi 97 FWD Automatic. I've had the car since 2018 I bought it for just $500.00 it has a 4g63 engine.

Lets start off with the BAD. I've been looking over the forums and I can't seem to find anything like this so I decided to start my own thread.

Recently, these past couple of months my engine decided to blow a head gasket and now everytime I try to turn it on it sounds like a piston or something is hitting like a clanking metal noise... then my engine just shuts off. Now for the transmission it was slipping and I had to put the O/D mode on or off depending on how you look at it.. (I made an older post about it in the past) for me to be able to drive normally till the engine decided to quit on me...

Now I do know that there's an issue that comes with these engines called "CrankWalk" So here comes my next question is it better to rebuild the engine or swap it out for something else? I know that it can be a daunting task for most but I owe it to that car for always pulling me out of hard times when I needed it the most. So I hate for it to be just sitting there in my driveway just being forgotten. As for the transmission I was already planning on converting it to a manual due to the fact that a lot of people would tell me that they were easier to work on and thats really when these type of vehicles shined the most!

With all this being said all I am really asking is for the generational amount of knowledge from this amazing community to help or give me some tips on how I could get the gears moving again and slowly restore the vehicle. I've seen it happen plenty of times with older cars so I believe that I could also do it myself especially with how much information we now have nowadays. I want to do all this myself if I I possibly can because that's what makes us tuners in my opinion. It's ok to make mistakes and learn from them. I also have came to terms that this project might take me 3 - 5 years to even get it back and running but I don't mind it as long as I do everything right and have patience.

I know that there is some people here in the community that will just critique instead of help but thats ok I'm just a 21 year old trynna restore his first car again. I have another vehicle so I would love to have this as my weekend driver and my goal for it is to make it to where its a fast reliable weekend warrior and obviously allowing me to be able to add more perfomrance mods if I ever wanted to.

***DISCLAIMER: I am no Professional Mechanic but I do have friends that have worked on Hondas and know their way around rebuilding engines and they are more than willing to give me a helping hand withe advice or tips you all may give me!***

***I WILL BE UPDATING THIS THREAD OVER THE YEARS OR PROGRESS THAT I MAKE INCASE SOMEONE EVER COMES ALONG AND IS IN THIS PREDICAMENT. I WILL ALSO BE DELETING MESSAGES THAT DONT HELP SO I CAN KEEP IT AS ORGANIZED AS POSSIBLE AND IT DOESN'T JUST TURN INTO A RABBIT HOLE***

- FredRider

It depends on the condition of your current one and what your build goals are. If you aren't looking to build big hp and the current crank journals are descent, you can probably keep it and just have the journals polished. This will require new bearings sized to make up for the smaller journal diameter (due to material removed from polishing)... which is why you should either have a good machine shop take care of things, or havw good micrometers and a methodical process to measure the journals yourself and order the correct size bearings.
Ok sounds good I will have to take all of that into effect. Just see how much it would be to repolish and the bearings. If not I think it be best to order a new one

I’m thinking about doing this what do you guys think? Since I’ve been watching his build. It’s a full set of modules dedicated to the 4g63 and the instructor is building it for reliability and performance purposes down the line.

I came across this program by a meme her from here. After it being recommended to me. It’s called HP academy

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have finally done it I completely dissembled the engine! Now time to clean and send everything to a machine shop!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back