The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

7 bolt with 6 bolt crank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

necrotopsy

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 5, 2010
SW, Michigan
1998 gst

When myself and my buddies replaced the clutch, we noticed a 6 bolt crank and flywheel

and apparently he's been running this car like this for an undetermined amount of time (140k on the odometer, he's had it for last 30k)

i'm trying to figure out if this is a ticking time bomb, or if there is some way to get this to work and it's totally okay to run it like that.

i've been searching around and everywhere it says that the journal bearings are different sizes and you could machine a 6 bolt to fit in a 7 bolt block, but then you'd greatly affect longevity of the crank.

then i found this thread:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...-bolt-crank-whos-done-knows-if-will-work.html

and this specifically:

Well then. Is it possible to take a 7 bolt block, and put in a 6 bolt crank, rods, and pistons? Maybe like a direct swap in, or w/ a line hone? If it is possible, wouldn't that just rule out swapping a complete 6 bolt in a 2g granted that the block is still in good shape? Or is it not possible due to the crank sensors and bottom end girdle configuration?

but it was never answered.

It was a 6 bolt swap then.

No way theres a 6 bolt crank in a 7 bolt block. Your making it more complicated then it really is unless theres more info your not sharing that proves its a 7 bolt block

Is there a 1g CAS? or is there a crank sensor?

i'm going to go look at it tomorrow. I guess i'll find out then if it's a true 6 bolt or not.

to quote him again:
while taking the transmission off, we noticed a 6 bolt crank, but everything else is 7 bolt

and when asked him about it, he said the quote in the OP.

this is the best i can do.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looks like a bone stock 7 bolt from the outside.

Could be a 2g head on a 6 bolt block.

You sure there just wasnt a missing crank bolt?

i'm not SURE of anything or else i wouldn't be here asking about it haha.

though i mean... it seems there would be an obvious difference between a 6bolt and a 7 bolt that's missing one.

anyway the price is pretty decent and the shell is rust free (which in my area is impossible to find).
just seeing what i'm getting myself into.

you can't put a 7 bolt oilpan on a 6 bolt?

sorry for my noobness, i could have searched that.
finally getting out of the 420a's so give me some slack.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back