The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

10.27 @ 143 New best time

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMotorsport

Vendor/Site Sponsor
20+ Year Contributor
Jun 8, 2002
Hey guys, just got back from Island Dragway test and tune.

finally got our shop talon to run right, After sorting out a few issues, I got 2 clean passes in:

11.5 @ 137 with no first gear power (sitting on 2step rev limit..issue with clutch switch)

Then this:

1.591 60'
4.511 330
6.740 1/8
112.52 1/8mph
8.682 1000
10.271 1/4
143.06 MPH

Nice job Nate!! I am loving that manifold you have, looks like a full race style manifold, I am looking at getting a manifold like that and I really like that one.

You still using BFg's? If so that is a great 60ft. Oh and was this with nitrous or no? How many lbs of boost may I ask?

Either way congrats on the new best!!! :thumb:

120 shot with direct port
37psi boost pressure
12-14* of timing
11.0 AF ratio
1 galllon 116 octane 3 gallons 112 octane (acutlaly ran out of fuel on first 2 runs of day..poping and missifirng)

235 60 15 comp TA BFG drag radials on 15 x 8 weld wheels. that 1.59 is actually not that great for this car, it has gone quite a few 1.50 and 1.51 short times. I smoked the 2600 clutch 2 weeks ago at a race, and just put in a 2900/6puck. Im still getting used to the engagement, as it's a bit grabby.

Will be attempting to better this in 2 weeks. bigger nitrous, more timing, better fuel, better driving.

info on the car:
www.diamondstarmotorsport.com/shoptalon.shtml

Now Nate, what A/F ratio to you typically shoot for while on the nitrous? I have heard mixed things as I am going to bottle feed my car next time out with a 75 shot to start with.

You have the mph for 9.80's easily man, you will be there in no time when you get the clutch figured out. Good job man.

I think im going to get it back to the track next weekend and try to pump in some more power and get the launch back to my norm. After thinking about how to improve it all night/day, I see a bunch of stuff that might be wise to change:

#0 Get the internal datalogger fixed!!!!!

#1 bump the nitrous kit to the 160hp jets. That should add 3mph all by itself.

#2 lean it out and bump up the ign timing a bit. That last run had no timing pulled from the knock sensor, and the AF was below 10.5 for most of the run. The tune is probobly safe enough to just throw in the bigger nitrous jets and leave the fuel/timing alone.

#3 drop the exhaust. I don't know at what power level a normal 3" street exhaust becomes any bit restrictive, but it sure can't hurt to drop the TP and CB to save 35lb.

#4 The K&N airfilter on the car is kinda "dinky". it's 4" inlet, but only 5" long. Just seems small, about the size of a 2G FIPK filter, but round shape, not oval. doubt this is significant, but worth a shot to remove at track.

#5 I really think the car could gain both et and mph from getting a strait alignment. The car wanders around alot and probobly goes 1330ft down the 1320. maybe save some drivetrain loss from tire scrub too.

#6 Want to grab a jug of VP Import fuel. that stuff is supposed to make 4% more power with the extra oxygen and 120 octane.

#7 fix the clutch switch. I guess I dont' let the clutch pedal 100% up right away, and this makes the car sit on the 2step launch rev limiter for part of first gear instead of accellerating. This could fix the 60' alone. maybe use the bottom switch for the 2step instead of the top switch.

After checking out the DSMtimes.org AWD list I see Im close to the goal:

7 9.695 142.29 6.254 112.46 1.453 90 Eclipse GSX FP 3065 NO Dejan "Dan" Cokic Pruven Performance
9 9.867 142.97 6.410 113.25 1.485 91 Eclipse GSX FP T4 Secret YES Jeff Hill TurboTrix Racing
10 9.901 146.89 6.507 112.65 1.601 91 Talon Tsi T4 Secret YES Westly Hess
11 9.932 142.78 6.466 114.67 1.563 90 Eclipse GSX AGP GT35R NO Gary Andriotis

Im in the MPH ballpark at both 1/4 and 1/8th with the power on friday, just need to get a good 60' and run clean through 1st gear.

If I can get another 4mph out of the above power ??? who knows

evil_eagle said:
Now Nate, what A/F ratio to you typically shoot for while on the nitrous? I have heard mixed things as I am going to bottle feed my car next time out with a 75 shot to start with.

You have the mph for 9.80's easily man, you will be there in no time when you get the clutch figured out. Good job man.

honestly, your AF ratio target shouldn't be affected by nitrous/no nitrous. I find that once you get a nitrous kit on the car, you basicly have "unlimited power potential" so I dont' go nuts trying to fine tune every hp out of the AF ratio, when you can just up a jet size and make the same power.

Things are looking up, the best part is that theres alot more to be squeezed out :thumb: Good job.
You should show brent how to pull off all those 1.5's :)

LOL damnit that it's I'm buying my hoosiers :D Nate that would be awesome if you hit 9's, get er done!! By the way, in your mod list it says your running a 3.5 bar map sensor for the aem, how did you run 37lbs on that map, or did you upgrade to the 5 bar map? I would love to run that much boost as I have the 3.5 bar map also.

Nate for any other qeustions I might have I will just PM you.

evil_eagle said:
LOL damnit that it's I'm buying my hoosiers :D Nate that would be awesome if you hit 9's, get er done!! By the way, in your mod list it says your running a 3.5 bar map sensor for the aem, how did you run 37lbs on that map, or did you upgrade to the 5 bar map? I would love to run that much boost as I have the 3.5 bar map also.

Nate for any other qeustions I might have I will just PM you.

I did put the 5 bar map sensor in place of the 3.5bar when I swapped the clutch (easy access to bottom of intake manifold). I had a nice time rescaling the maps and finding all the little options and such that automaticly change. like the map on/off for nitrous activation went from 0/35 to 10/60 !

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back