The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

timing belt, tensioner pulley

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinaiTSi

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 5, 2005
Misawa, Japan, Asia
I did some searches couldn't really get the answer I needed. I'm doing a Tbelt job and when I went to take my belt off. I just slid it of, I didn't loosen a single pulley or anything. My question is, can you just slide it back on without replacing the tensioner pulley. I did buy a new hydraulic tensioner which I'll be replacing, but I heard the tensioner pulley's a pain to put on. Also, does the idler pulley just bolt on, no need for adjusting? I read some threads about making a tensioner tool, but I'm not really sure what it's used for either. Could someone give me some light on the subject? Thanks.

I highly suggest getting a service manual and reading it.

No, you can't just slip the belt over the pulley. It has to have the tension set by rotating the inner part of the pulley against the auto tensioner. If you get this wrong, the belt will eventually stretch a little and the tensioner won't be able to take up the slack and then you know the rest. Bent valves and all.

I can talk you through it if you find it necessary, but do look at a manual. It will be worth the investment not just for this but for a lot of other things you are going to encounter

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

Good Luck

Actually, I do have a manual, and I've read it, it's just that there are some things easier said than done in there. Mostly what I need help with is tricks and first hand advice. The service manual helps to tell me when to do what things, but when it comes down to how to do what things, that's what's gonna suck and I need help with. For instance, I need to replace my bs belt and I'm really worried about being able to get the crank sprocket off and back on again. Just little things like that.

OK, I'll try. Having the car jacked up and on JACKSTANDS, take all your drive belts off and lay them out so you know where they go back. Take a 12 mm socket and remove the harmonic balancer. Look at it very closely and if any doubt, replace it as it's a whole story within itself.

Once that's off, take off the cover per service manual.

Turn the engine over by hand until it is at top dead center and you have verified this by looking at your marks.

Once that's done, take a 1/2 air or electric impact and remove the crank bolt which holds on the crank pulley.

Loosen the counter balancer tensioner and the crank pulley and all should just pull off right into your hand or with gently GENTLY coaxing with a screwdriver or such.

There's a little square key that probably will fall off. Be aware of that because it's very important that you put it back in.

Going back together by vfaq instructions should do it for you from this point forward. Be aware especially of how you tension the tensioner, make sure that the marks are all lined up correctly and absolutely since it's probably the first time, do the list. Replace all the idlers, water pump, auto tensioner, crank and cam seals, and anything else that looks like it may give trouble down the road.

You don't have to do all that, but if you read enough posts in here, you will realize the value of doing so.

Good lUck

If you haven't eliminated your balance shafts you need to do the balance shaft belt at the same time... Would suck to replace your Tbelt only to have your balance shaft belt snap and ruin all your hard work :nono:

Opus69 said:
If you haven't eliminated your balance shafts you need to do the balance shaft belt at the same time... Would suck to replace your Tbelt only to have your balance shaft belt snap and ruin all your hard work :nono:

Trust me, I will be replacing my bs belt. That's half the reason why this is gonna take me so long and why I'm asking so many questions about it, cause I've never done it before. Trying to get the crank sprocket off, so I can replace the bs belt. I'm trying to get some help though so it will be a little easier.

Go to your local Advance Auto or Autozone etc... Both have loaner tool programs... Get their "Harmonic Balancer Puller" toolkit...

It's something like a 36 piece toolkit that has everything you need to pull the crankshaft gear.. Use the piece that looks like a peace symbol without the outer circle... Thread the 8mm bolts through that piece and into the pulley then place the pushrod through the center. Take the center bolt from the kit and thread it through the center making sure the pushrod goes into the center bolt.

Tighten the center bolt slowly, you will notice the crankshaft gear start to slowly slide off the shaft. A little penetrating oil applied before you start can help a little. Keep turning the center shaft until the gear pops off...

Once you have the timing gear off the crankshaft the balance shaft gear should slide right off..

Hope this helps. :talon:

Thanks, I'll check that out. Is putting it back together, easier, harder?

Getting everything apart is usually harder... Over time, moisture can get between the crank stem and the timing gear and oxidation (rust) can form making things really stick.

You can use a green scrubby (non-abrasive) to give the crank end a good scrubbing before you put it back together... Just be sure to keep track of the key... they can(and do!) fall out.

I had a stuck one on my daughters car and used a puller and broke the crank pulley hitting me in the face and the pieces ended up in the next bay.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back