The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Info on Shipping from Canada into the US

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul@RTM

Supporting Vendor
Oct 24, 2012
Hamilton, ON_Canada
As many of you are aware, RTM Racing is located in Canada (near Toronto to be more precise).

We have many US customers and all of them are doubtless aware that shipping from our Canadian location to their US address is a simple, painless procedure. In fact, generally the only difference between shipping from Canada to the US and shipping within the US is that it takes slightly longer (a day or two at most) and costs a bit more. That's it. There are no other meaningful differences. There are no brokerage fees, custom duties or any other fees. All brokerage and other fees are included in the shipping charge we charge you up front. There are no other fees to you.*

Some of our newest US customers have expressed certain reservations / fears of the Canada to US shipping experience. Either because they have no experience with it, or because they may have had a past experience with another vendor / person that was negative in some way. (Mostly in the form of unexpected fees and/or delays).

Here are some straight facts on the subject:
RTM Racing has been in business well over 15 years and in that time we've shipped well over a thousand packages into the US. Of that number, we can honestly think of only two instances when there were unexpected circumstances. In both cases, the shipment was held at US customs for a short time until the shipment cleared. That is literally it: two times in over a thousand shipments. In both those cases, the shipments were eventually cleared and delivered without further incident. There were no additional fees or charges. The shipments weren't even especially remarkable. They were neither large, expensive or complicated. We suspect they were simply chosen at random. We'll repeat the main point again: two times in over a thousand shipments and even in those two cases, merely an inconvenient delay. As far as we know, we have never had a single example where a customer was asked to pay a single cent in extras "fees" to receive their shipment. Not one example.

We should mention something else. Our webstore gives you several shipping options. Several UPS shipment options and several Canada Post shipment options (Canada Post is Canada's equivalent of the US Postal Service). Even if you choose a Canada Post shipment option, we almost never ship via Canada Post, we almost always ship via UPS. (This is due to the fact that we don't like to drag the package (and our butts) to a post office to make a shipment. We prefer to have UPS come to our location and pick up). (The only exception is in the case of very small shipments where Canada Post Small Packet Air service is chosen. In those cases, we do use Canada Post).

We hope this puts our US customers' minds at ease if they've been hesitant to use us before now.

We also welcome any input from our regular US customers. We expect this would further remove any fears from our soon-to-be new US customers.

Thank you.

*In theory, there can be additional delays and fees since US customs has the authority to reject a shipment and return it to us at OUR expense. This has NEVER happened in our entire existence. If it ever did, we would simply eat any additional fees and make the decision to re-ship or not. In any event, you, the customer is never on the hook for any unexpected expenses. You are never obliged to pay any additional fees to receive your shipment. You always retain the option of rejecting the shipment and paying nothing extra.

Last edited:
Thank you for the update/explanation, Paul.

I’m one that had a negative past experience with a shipment TO Canada. It has been totally redeemed, because I had an excellent experience with my most recent shipment FROM Canada, which was an order from RTM. I received the package even quicker than some of my regular Amazon orders.

First time customer here, I emailed you yesterday and today about an invoice i placed.
I saw a few posts regarding import tax duties, shipping, customs etc etc which made me a little hesitant to place an order first.
I know there is a slight difference when it comes to the currency exchange as yall mentioned on your website which I could totally deal with.

Now after speaking with you I feel alot more comfortable placing my order.
Thank you for clearing this up Paul and appreciate all the amazing deals you offer for the community 👍👍👍

I've sent a lot of things south of the border, marked as sales, but I've never had someone tell me they paid taxes or duty either. I believe (don't quote me on this) that US customs ignores anything below a set value, I think $900? USPS & CanadaPost are the best for avoiding additional fees, I always ask people to use USPS for incoming shipments. FedEx usually taxes at actual value, UPS charges the taxes and then slaps HUGE brokerage fees on them, like 30% of the value of the item.

I believe (don't quote me on this) that US customs ignores anything below a set value, I think $900?
This is the source of the difference between shipping FROM Canada into the US and shipping TO Canada from the US. For goods coming into Canada, the Canadian government considers anything with a declared value over a very small amount ($20?) to be dutiable. This is why shipments coming INTO Canada are often accompanied with negative stories of unexpected fees, etc. However, RTM Racing does not ship INTO Canada, so that info is not especially relevant to our discussion. (We realize it does help explain some of the stories and posts about problems with international shipping. That's fine, but lets not go down more rabbit holes than we need to).

For goods going into the US from Canada (this is very relevant since this is exactly what RTM Racing does on a daily basis) the US government considers anything over about $800 to be dutiable (it could be closer to $900, we aren't sure of the exact figure, but it's something less than $1000). So as long as the declared value of the shipment is below this threshold, there are no duties payable. RTM Racing makes sure the declared value is never over this threshold. It's as simple as that. (I'd say problem solved, but it never gets to the stage of being a problem. We prevent the problem from ever occurring in the first place).

Like I said in the original post, in our entire history, we've never heard of a customer being asked to pay additional fees to receive their shipment. That's not happenstance or luck. That's because we're aware of the situation and plan accordingly.

Anyway, we hope this helps to shed some light on the whole Canada-US shipping subject.

I made an order 2 months ago and shipping was actually fast. No bad experience at all and will continue to order parts from RTM.

Thanks for keep supporting this platform Paul!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back