The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G How To: Install Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This will document the install of my maximal performance adjustable rear control arms for my 1g awd dsm. Hopefully it will serve as a guide to anyone wanting to install them or another similar product in the future.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The reason to install adjustable rear control arms (uppers) is to give you camber adjustability beyond the factory specs. When you install lowering springs or coilovers and lower your vehicle, it becomes impossible to dial in correct camber with the stock setup. These arms give you adjustability to give you proper camber settings.

First things first, loosen the lug nuts, jack up the car and support it on jackstands. Remove the rear wheels/tires.

Once you've removed the rear tires you can access the stock upper rear control arms. I suggest measuring the current adjustment length and writing it down. Removing them may be easy, or it may be hard. Mine were a pain. I suggest utilizing an impact if you have it available. The factory camber bolts are 22mm. The nut on the upper ball joint is a 19mm. The ball joint is best removed with a pickle fork or a ball joint press.

Here is a close-up of the camber bolt. Mine were both seized inside the bushing sleeve and I had to cut them out with a sawzall. A good metal blade is needed if you have to do this and be very careful not to cut into the subframe at all as this will cause you to lose support.

Removed the stock control arm and put it off to the side...

Now you can install your new arms. Adjust them to match the measurement you took off the stock arms so that your alignment will be "close".

Installation is pretty straightforward. The inner bolts should be torqued to the factory spec of 110 ft. lbs. The ball joint should be torqued to 50 ft lbs.

Now check your measurements and adjust as necessary, attempt to get both sides the same. The maximal performance bars adjust by loosening the nuts and turning the bar. One end is left hand threaded and the other right handed, therefore when you turn the bar it will adjust the length shorter and longer as needed to adjust camber. Remember that as you adjust the camber you also effect the toe.

Once you've tightened everything back up and put the wheels back on the car a proper alignment is suggested. If you can do it yourself, great! If not, find a shop that will smile upon your aftermarket adjustments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back