The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Engine Bay/Firewall

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbenner05

Probationary Member
Oct 22, 2020
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Just looking for input and options on what you are all doing for engine bay and firewall restores. I have the engine bay gutted and torn on what to do to the firewall. Paint it? Put a material like the factory material on it? If so where can I get that from? Is there a material from Dynomat that would help with sound and heat transfer into the passenger compartment? I am not building a race car so wait is not really an issue. Maybe just paint the engine bay factory color and use the Dynomat style material on the inside? Post some pics and your thoughts of why you did what you did or what not to do what you did. TIA

Last edited:
I took off the oem blanket material years ago when mine was still a street car because it was getting torn up, never noticed any difference. There is sound deadening on the inside too.

The firewall mat had been removed from my 1G many years ago and I wasn’t happy with how the factory paint job looked. The factory didn’t bother spraying much paint on the firewall because they knew it would just get covered anyway. I went over the whole firewall with a scuff pad to help new paint adhere (properly cleaned it afterward) and then sprayed it with OEM matched paint, then a little wet sanding a couple days later. While it’s not perfect it does look 100 times better than before. The only people who will know it’s not completely original are knowledgeable DSM people who know it had a mat from the factory.

The firewall mat had been removed from my 1G many years ago and I wasn’t happy with how the factory paint job looked. The factory didn’t bother spraying much paint on the firewall because they knew it would just get covered anyway. I went over the whole firewall with a scuff pad to help new paint adhere (properly cleaned it afterward) and then sprayed it with OEM matched paint, then a little wet sanding a couple days later. While it’s not perfect it does look 100 times better than before. The only people who will know it’s not completely original are knowledgeable DSM people who know it had a mat from the factory.
I agree with that. I had got some factory color paint to spray it. I guess I over think it at times and was making sure I had all my options covered. Thanks for the input

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back