The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1990 Galant GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello, this is another “It’s been awhile” story, but now I am back after about 8 years. I’ve had 6-7 DSM. my last DSM related car was a 240sx and I dropped in a 4G63. Unfortunately a number of things got in the way and I was forced it part it out. Definitely always think “what could have been.” It was setting up to be really fun car. I only ever ran, what I call the “spare tire turbo,” 14b. Great turbo because you can always find one and rely on it. It had the fuel support and mods to run much more. Anyways, on to the new project:

So I have always wanted a GVR4 but it was kind of a “fantasy” to me. (Even tho these days you can find a fairly clean one for $10k +/-.) But long story short wasn’t really looking for a car but I found this 1990 Galant GSX for sale. (The Galant GSX comes with a NA 4g63 from the factory and AWD / 3 bolt.) It had too many upgrades already and parts that came with it… that I couldn’t stop thinking about it. It was time to get another project. The previous owner (who builds motors for a living) rebuilt a stock 6 bolt turbo motor and put it into the GSX. He had too many projects going and was forced to sell. So to get it moving he put it back together and ran it NA.

At that point I picked it up with no miles on the motor and have basically just started cleaning it up. Doing the Free & cheap mods. Fixing leaks and looking over the wiring, setting timing, breaking it in more etc. Currently it has a Walboro 255 and no fuel pressure regulator, running NA, so you know it’s running rich. Waiting for the FPR to come in the mail this week. So that will be my first mod. Then doing the turbo swap. This motor tho starts up really well and runs great. Even running NA (7.8:1 comp) can feel a little peppiness and that its ready to be woken up.

My plans are to start with a 14b setup that I already have. Learn ECMlink with that. Only ever used premade chips. Then when I feel comfortable, do an upgrade to 20g or similar turbo. And see what happens. 😆 Basically have a poor mans GVR4. Keep it looking like a sleeper grandma car as possible.

The car came with a 1g AWD Turbo Transmission, Tcase, 4 Bolt rear end and axles. Currently running the NA 90 Galant transmission, which driving it I really like the gearing, but from what I have read it wont be able to hold torque as the boost gets turned up. I think only a couple of gears are different than the AWD. It came with a 91 AWD ECU with ECMlink (not sure version yet). 1000cc injectors. 2g MAF. 1g BOV. Intercooler (which I want to swap out to a different style). And a bunch of other parts.

These Galant VR4 and GSX are also known to rust, as many of you know, and this one has it all all 4 outside corners. So that is definitely on the list to fix.

Here is my tentative Project list:
* Fuel Pressure Regulator
* Clean Engine Bay
* Walboro is a little Loud so will check the Tank, Sock, Filter etc Possibly replace it.
* Buy a 1g or 2g Turbo AWD Downpipe
* Buy Electric Cutout (Turbo o2 housing -> Downpipe -> Cutout -> to Stock 2.25” Exhaust on the car)
* Complete the Turbo Swap:
* Install 14b Setup and Exhaust
* Keep the NA harness and Run Wiring: Knock sensor, Wire for MAF,
Wire in Resistor Pack, Swap ECU Pins to go from 90 to 91+ ECU
* Install Intercooler and Piping
* Buy Wideband o2 And typical Gauges. (Boost at the least)
* ECMlink setup and do some driving
* Start working on the Rust
* Swap out NA Trans and 3 bolt with Turbo trans and 4 Bolt
* Upgrade Turbo

At some point:
* 5 Lug and Big Brake swap
* New Wheels
* Paint the car (thinking of Plasti Dip and Plasti dip Clear coat but we’ll see when we get there)

Motor Build by previous owner and Pictures of the car.

Edit: Balance Shafts still installed on the rebuild. Is what it is for now.
IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2445.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

IMG_5227.jpeg

IMG_5708.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed my AFPR today. I was running the stock NA FPR since I bought the car. Took a chance… yeah.. with a Speedmaster AFPR. This one has -8 AN fittings for all three ports. There was a sale, figured I would try it. It actually seems to work really well. I have read a few threads that say a lot of the cheap or mid range Regulators have some sort of problem. Like the spring is too strong and won’t go below 40 psi etc. This one I installed, ran the 255 fuel pump and it went to 10 psi the way it came. Adjusted it up to stock NA fuel pressure and it actually held when I turned the Fuel Pump off.

I suppose I will really see how well it works when I get the turbo setup in and start tuning. Happy for now. Hopefully 2-3 weeks away from completing that. Just Time, Parts And money.

Air & Fuel Delivery  Fuel Pumps & Regulators  Fuel Pressure Regulators.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg
IMG_5737.jpeg

Edit: Resized Pictures

Last edited:
Update:
As usual, taking longer than expected. Not going to put any dates for completion anymore.

Mounted FMIC
Installed Turbo, Manifold, 3” Downpipe.
Installed 2g MAF
Ordered and received 1G to 2g MAF plug
Started my 3” exhaust mock up. Bought a 3” Stainless piping kit.

IMG_6552.jpeg

IMG_6541.jpeg

IMG_6541.jpegIMG_6538.jpegIMG_6546.jpeg

Needs a lot of Paint and cleanup. I will get it running then make it look better:

IMG_6301.jpeg

Soldered in Turbo MAF plug, Injector Resistor Pack, Knock Sensor Plug and installed Knock Sensor. Put in the 1000 cc’s. Turned the fuel pump on via ECMlink, no leaks! Pretty much have all the wires to the ECU. Just need to get some connectors to add wires to the ECU plugs. Also deleted all the EGR stuff off of the throttle body and got the block off plate installed.

Took the ISC sensor out and beat it like in Office Space when they beat down their printer. Not really, but pretty much done with having an ISC.

After that just need to do an oil change finish’s setting up ECMlink and start it up! once it’s running I will start taping up and wire looming all the cables then go get my exhaust welded up.

IMG_6849.jpeg

IMG_6850.jpeg

IMG_6846.jpeg

IMG_6842.jpeg

IMG_6843.jpeg

IMG_6838.jpeg

Finally Changed my oil. Tightened everything up. Plugged in the laptop and connected to ECMlink. Set it up with 2g MAF, global fuel and injector deadtime. Cranked the car a few times with plugs and injectors unplugged. Then I plugged everything in and it started up right away!

At first I thought the exhaust was just loud. It’s the Downpipe plus maybe a 3’ pipe connected. I still have to get the exhaust fitted and welded. (But I need to be able to drive to the shop) After letting it idle and checking for leaks I tried to drive away from my house but something didn’t feel right.

I start thinking is it the cheap 16g turbo, why did I put that one on should have just put the 14b on. But there was no smoke etc. I Notice in ECMlink I’m getting a code for the knock sensor… maybe that’s it… but I drive back and then the next day fixed that. I had taken the wires out of the connector and when I put them back they were backwards. So I fixed that.

Still just racking my brain is the engine good, I start thinking of the worst. So today I turn the car on and pull plugs. Pull Cylinder 1 car wants to die. Same for 2 & 3. Get to 4 and it makes no difference. But the wire is sparking. So then I pull the #4 injector, no change in idle. I start thinking is my wiring bad? I change the Red wire from the resistor pack to a different connection. Car starts and runs the same. Finally I’m thinking it must be the injector. So I move #4 to #3. Start the car Pull #4 first, car wants to die and goes to 2 cylinders. Pull #3 and no change.

So it’s a bad injector! So happy it’s not something worse or my wiring from the NA harness and wiring in all the turbo stuff! I even changed ECU’s, the PTU and other test but found the culprit. Makes me happy because it starts right up with 3 cylinders so it “seems” like it will be a good runner with the injector fixed. The injectors had come with the car when I bought it so wasn’t sure of their condition.

I bought an injector cleaner setup so we will see how that goes this weekend…. Hope for the best otherwise may have to take the injector, or all of them to be safe to a shop.

Huge sigh of relief!

What you are in SD? I just shipped my to Virginia last year. here is a pic when it was last in San Diego.

View attachment 730281
Barely missed me! Yes in SD. Loving your build.

Update Today got my new injector in the mail. Unfortunately had to fab it a little but it worked! Took the car around the block. Really needs the full exhaust.

Next step install Wideband then get the exhaust welded.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back