The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Transmission Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie90GST

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I have a 90' GST mostly stock except for a voodoo racing mbc and datalogger. I took it to the local track, after my first run, I can't seem to get second gear to engage above 3k rpms or above 25mph. If I drive regular without goosing it it will engage, but it still feels weird when shifting from 1st to 2nd.:confused: Did I partially fry a synchro?

no grinding, it just feels like i'm in neutral. even in regualr driving it feels different that it used to when I shift into second. feels loose or soft, don't know exactly the word to descrobe it properly.

I know this thread is a little old but I just seen it. First of all, the 1990 shifter cable is not adjustable. The only cable adjustable is the shifters side to side cable(thats not the problem). Check the clutch slave and master cylinder for leaking. To check the slave pull the boot off and see if there is fluid built up, if there is then it is bad. To check the master look under your dash and up where the master cyl. rod comes through and if it is wet underneath then your master is leaking and bad. If these two check out o.k. then it is most likely your 2nd gear synchro or maybe a bent/worn clutch fork and pivot ball. But before I pulled the transmission, I would change the gear oil with some Pennzoil synchromesh(3 quarts) and see if that helps, since it is a lot easier and cheaper than pulling and replacing the trans.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back