The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

trans installed, no gears work

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leitnin

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2003
San Diego, CaliforniaUS
alright guys. Maybe you can bail me out of this one.

I rebuilt a toyota camry motor which i had some questions in another thread. Got the transmission bolted on, installed everything, and the engine wouldn't crank.

It was having an issue with the alarm, but then as my buddy was trying to start it, i noticed the crank pulley was moving a little.

Well, before I could get over to have him stop trying to crank it, the engine broke loose and turned over.

So, now the engine runs but putting the car in reverse or any drive gear it doesn't move.

heres a list of what i know.

1. the Torque converter had fluid in it such that when i put it back on the motor, it dripped a little, so i think it was primed okay.

2. Getting the trans on the motor was a huge pain, lining them up with no transmission jack, possibly not lined up correctly, except that onve it was lined up it went together pretty well.

3. when i put the car in reverse, the reverse lights do come on, (but i don't know if the lights are a separate mechanism from gear selection, i.e. neutral safety switch)

4. The cable is hooked up and moves freely when i change gears.

5. the wheels spin independently of the engine in all gears with the car on and off.

6. The dipstick reads the correct level, but i don't know if the fluid is being circulated everywhere, and if there is enough pressure to change gears.

i'd appreciate any ideas. worst case, the motor may come back up tomorrow to inspect the torque converter and reassemble.

really would rather not of course.

thanks guys!

Well. It wasn't the torque converter. at least not directly.

Heres oil pump housing on the transmission:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

heres the drive gear:

and heres a little bit easier to see those cracks are pretty serious business.

and a shot of the two DSM's in the driveway outside. The black tsiawd is mine, the red 1gnt is my roommates that he got when he wanted a second car.

<b>anyone have any tips on the easiest way to make sure the torque converter is installed correctly for once i have this gear replaced?</b>

If you think the converter is all the way in, keep wiggling it and pushing it onto the transmission until you have a good distance from the bell housing edge. The last one I installed, the converter had to stopping points. The first one looks like it is on, but it really is not. The second one is when it sinks farther down into the transmission with no problem at all.

Well, when you have to pull the engine and trans together with the bolts and the engine appears locked up, you have the classic crushed front pump. It happens a lot. Do not use the old "if it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replaced anyway" theory. The bell housing should butt up to the block with no force at all. You just didn't get the converter all the way into the trans. When installed properly, there's very little clearance between the converter and the bell housing. You then draw the converter out a little to bolt it to the flex plate.

Good Luck

once the converter is installed and the transmission is bolted up to the engine. Is there any way to check if everything is installed correctly?

try and crank the motor by hand, if that works, step one is good, right, not going to kill the pump?

can any information be gained by moving the gear selector to drive or reverse? i assume no since it wont have any pressure, but i could be wrong.

it may have only taken and hour and half to re-pull the motor, but i still dont' want to have to do it again if there is an avoidable problem

once the converter is installed and the transmission is bolted up to the engine. Is there any way to check if everything is installed correctly?

try and crank the motor by hand, if that works, step one is good, right, not going to kill the pump?

can any information be gained by moving the gear selector to drive or reverse? i assume no since it wont have any pressure, but i could be wrong.

it may have only taken and hour and half to re-pull the motor, but i still dont' want to have to do it again if there is an avoidable problem

First, you must make sure the converter is all the way in. If you can get your fingers behind the converter, it's not in far enough. This isn't an exact measurement but for the most part it works.

If you don't get the converter in all the way and you draw the motor up, you will destroy the front pump.

The gear selector is useless in this endeavor. You must know what you are doing when you set the converter. Nothing else matters as far as that part of it is concerned.

Mostly, if you are not sure, stop and see if you can move the converter. If it's held in place by the flywheel, you must remove the trans and start again.

Just be careful

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back