The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Pulling the 4g63 for the All Motor build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm-onster

DSM Wiseman
Jul 11, 2004
Bloxom, Virginia
Here's me pulling the 9.0CR n/t 4g63 motor and tranny. Everything is unbuttoned and ready for the hoist and removing the mout bolts.

IMG_1155.jpg

The engine bay is really 'riced up', but the car was free; can I complain?

The plan is simple:

--bigger cams
--higher compression
--larger stroke and bore
--4-2-1 header and 2.5" catless exhaust with a decent muffler
--cold air intake

And then some free tweeks to tune the car a little better. <==I will get into that a little later.

First lets pull the motor:

IMG_1156.jpg

Redneck style!!!! LOL but hey it REALLy works easy when you have soft ground instead of a concrete pad:

IMG_1158.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg

Many thanx to my driver :) :

IMG_1159.jpg

I am trading this motor directly for a 4g64 :) this will take care of the increased displacement AND higher compression part of this build, since I'll be swapping the stock 4g63 head onto it.

IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg

For the goal to have the same performance for the same cost as a turbo swap. . .This is realistic because I could sell this 6bolt n/t 4g63 for about $300. And I've seen 7bolt 4g64 motors for the same price all over the place. The 7bolt rods are MORE than enough for 350whp, which isn't my power goal.

This 4g64 came originally from a 1995 Galant LS it came with the SA pistons. Which is exactly what I was looking for. The 64SA pistons have a 15cc dish to them. With the 47cc head They have 9.5:1 CR. Just like the stock 4g64 longblock from 1995+ since the 4g64 SOHC head has the same cc as the 4g63 head in the 2nd half of the 1990s. See how much more dish the SA pistons have vs. the n/t 4g63 pistons.

4g64DOHCpistonvsNA4g63.jpg

But still because of the displacement increase coupled with a g4cn 1.8L hyundai DOHC head which has a head chamber volume of 43cc, my compression will be 10:1. Here's a great calculator to use. Click. Deck height is zero. And composite headgasket thickness is 1.2mm.

10:1 is perfect. The thermal efficiency increase going from n/t 4g63 9:1 to 10:1 goes from 58% to 60.5%.

ThermalEfficiency.gif

That 2.5% increase in total efficency is well over a 4% increase in differences (60.5%/58%). You endup having to run premium or better fuel, with about 10.5:1 or higher. The 64S pistons in some 4g64s have 19cc dishes, putting you at 9.5:1 with the 43cc g4cn head. An older 4g64 or g4cs which has flattop or doomed pistons. Then you'll be at about 13:1 OMG. . .

Here's the hyundai g4cn head:

IMG_1168.jpg

Yes it's in a t/e/l. Some moron swapped a g4cn into a 1993 talon thinking he was doing a6bolt swap. Well yea, it has 6bolt rods/crank, but it has less bore and n/a pistons ring lands :notgood: . . . What an idiot! Well, At least I paid only 500 for that whole talon, and it has a good 4bolt rear in it too. . . If I bough the head separately I would have had had paid about $80

So, I traded the 6bolt 4g63 block for the 4g64 block and would have paid about $80 for the head. Now I have raised compression from 9:1 to 10:1 and increased displacement 20% all for about $80

More updates will be posted in the catagory below:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back