The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

VHT Nite Shades, How do you get it off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i just did mine, and i'm going to clear coat them so they don't get scratched up and stuff, what kind of clear coat did you use/or recommend? gloss?flat?acrylic? i'm just curious, i want to get them to look good, and STAY looking good for a long time, and stand up to the rocks and crud in the road. thanks.

mine held up perfectly
you'll loose that glossy look to the niteshades, but wait 2 weeks and sand it with a paper bag.... thats like 1800-2000 grit sandpaper, should shine it up. Then wax it with car wax. Thats what i did with mine.
also, if you ever get your car painted, take out your tail lights, because if the shop bakes your car, the clear coat will chip off and it will suck to redo them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention i did 3 coats of clear on them

thanks again guys. i clear coated them last night. i found some minwax urethane with u.v. protectant, and it's supposed to protect from ice/etc. also. it was actually made for wood, so i was worried it would "lift" the nite shades, or screw up the plastic. so i did a test on a corner, and it did fine, so i sprayed them all with about 4 LIGHT coats, and thismorning i checked em' out, they're dry and look good. i used semi gloss minwax spar urethane spray if anybody cares to know. i'll post pics after i wet sand them and buff them, and get them on.

well, i just put em' back on, real crappy quick pic at night (lights off). they're looking way too dark, ill probably have to get led's in the tails to be safe. thanks to all for the help.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

edit: forgot that i "chopped" a tinted reverse light on this pic, i wanted to see what that would look like, i'm thinking of tinting them too.

looks good :thumb:
personally, im not a fan of the tinted reverse light.
maybe open up the light housing and paint everything black?
keep up the good work

yeah, i may try that. i haven't really decide. i like the look of smoked lenses, but i don't want to go overboard. if my car was black, i'd smoke everything, go for the mad max look! but, im really happy how the tails look on the silver car.

i talked to a shithead at advance auto ( i was trying to find UV protectant clear coat) and he said that you cant find it, noone makes it. I called bullshit on him but he still stuck to his statement...where/what brand should i get it?

I'm planning to do some Nite Shade on my Talon's tail lights and pick up some clear makers and spray them too. :)

I've heard if you do VHT Nite Shade, you lose the reflective lens on the tail lights, would that make it illegal? :confused:

I've searched around online and I came up empty on Illinois Laws about that. So I want to make sure before I pick up Nite Shade, that it's legal to do and I won't get busted and forced to remove it or replace my entire tail lights. :nono:

I never had a problem with the cops. Although the stuff started to come off about 4 months after putting it on. So its not as permanant as one might think.

pianoman said:
I never had a problem with the cops. Although the stuff started to come off about 4 months after putting it on. So its not as permanant as one might think.

Did you sand down the tail lights and Did you throw on some UV protective clear coat? I believe that helps it last much longer, roughly 2 years.

I dont know about the laws, but i did mine just about 2 yrs. ago and ive never been stopped and they look as good as the day I sprayed them.

In IL you can not cover more than 50% of any vehicle lighting.... Now it is upto the cop to decide if he wants to make a pimpy stop like that or nat...... Pretty much it is one of those laws to police have a reason to stop someone......

I live right next to you and i knew someone that put like 3 layers of that night shade on his talon and he said he gets pulled over every so often. But i also did know someone with a neon that did it and he never got pulled over. I guess it depends if the cop is just looking for a reason to pull you over.

rksudrick said:
In IL you can not cover more than 50% of any vehicle lighting.... Now it is upto the cop to decide if he wants to make a pimpy stop like that or nat...... Pretty much it is one of those laws to police have a reason to stop someone......

AWDtsi1995 said:
I live right next to you and i knew someone that put like 3 layers of that night shade on his talon and he said he gets pulled over every so often. But i also did know someone with a neon that did it and he never got pulled over. I guess it depends if the cop is just looking for a reason to pull you over.

Alright, sounds pretty weird, I mean, I'm planning to try to completely tint the tail lights to black, while keeping the reverse lights exposed. I really want to do that, but risking at the same time that I could get busted for over tinting my tail lights. :cry:

I could take the risk, if something does happen like getting pulled over or told to remove the tint, I could also buy aftermarket Eclipse tail lights and grab a reproduction bumper while I'm at it.

Anymore ideas? :thumb:

Some other ideas for a different look:
-painting center piece(body color,black,etc)
-changing all to red so you dont have the amber.
-painting just the top where the turn signals are.

Be creative!
So where in crystal lake do you live?

p.s. dont change to eclipse taillights. I like talons better.:p :thumb:

AWDtsi1995 said:
Some other ideas for a different look:
-painting center piece(body color,black,etc)
-changing all to red so you dont have the amber.
-painting just the top where the turn signals are.

Be creative!
So where in crystal lake do you live?

p.s. dont change to eclipse taillights. I like talons better.:p :thumb:

I live over by Crystal Lake South High School.

I was thinking, maybe just painting the amber and leaving the red, but it looks so weird, as if it was done half-ass or something, but I did pick up the Niteshades, some clear, and metallic/silver paint. I was ready to start on it today (It's Sunday), but the forecast is snow. SNOW?! :cry: What the hell... :mad:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back