The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Machine work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jettster91

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2011
caledonia, Illinois
Well i just got a call from my machine shop this morning informing me my parts are finished. he told me they had to deck my head and block. both. I asked how much they milled off. He said they took .012 off the head Which i wasnt to happy about. and .005 of the block so im sitting at .017 total milled.. Whats the best way to go about making up for this gap? I see cometic Sells a 1.6mm head gasket. Which i think is a thinkness of .063, will this fix my problem or is it a better option to get adjustable cam gear. I really didnt want to go thru the hassle of timing the gears, But i will if i have to. Also maybe is it better to find a new head? I dont really know never been in this spot before. Any info would be great. Thanks.

A stock OE or Felpro Hg and you will be fine.

There are guy running heads way thinner than yours and they are fine.

But post pics of the surfaces once you pick up the block and head.

Thicker head gasket will increase quench area and could cause problems.

Best is to measure the deck height of the pistons first then choose the HG that will give you proper quench. Deal with the timing issues by using adjustable cam gears.

Agree with the quench problem, or possible problem. I had a set of heads for a SBC that had been milled too much allowing the valves to protrude some from the combustion chamber and a thicker head gasket would have helped clearance wise but also effect quench. Bottom line, I went with a different set of heads so I wouldn't have any problems with it. 11:1's, Eagle crank and rods....finally bought myself a set of aluminum heads for the motor and although it was a bit pricey (hard to say that now that I am building a DSM) I am happy I did. Still have those heads that came from a shop in Florida. No names on my reply, just not a good experience so the new heads fixed the problem.

Agreed. There will be extra "area" that is created when using a thicker head gasket that isn't really part of the combustion chamber.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back